PDA

View Full Version : Get 'The page cannot be displayed' error message when trying to access some web pages

20-10-2001, 06:02 PM
I am running Windows ME with Internet Explorer 5.5 on a PC purchase in Sept 2000. Recently I have started getting 'The page cannot be displayed' when I try to view certain webpages within a number of different websites. E.g. ezibuy.co.nz - can register but cannot display the mail order page. paypal.com - cannot access the registration form or the contact form. Someone please help as I urgently need to get the paypal site access sorted out.

20-10-2001, 10:17 PM
...a number of things could be causing this problem. In the following order, here are a few suggestions - although this list is by no means exhaustive:

(i) First off, try refreshing the page. Use this method - hold down the CTRL button and click on 'Refresh'.

(ii) In Internet Explorer, go Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Click the 'Restore Defaults' tab > click Apply/Okay

(iii) Try a repair of Internet Explorer: type 'rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance' (sans quotes) into your 'Run' box off the Start menu, press Enter and then select 'Repair Internet Explorer'. Click 'Yes' when prompted to restart the system.

(iv) There might be a problem with the 'servers certificate revocation file'. If none of the above helped - then what I suggest here should *only* be used as a temporary work around until the problem is corrected:

In Internet Explorer, go Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > then scroll down to the Security Settings. Uncheck the box marked 'check for server certificate revocation (requires restart)' > click Apply/Okay

Cheers !!!

e_

22-10-2001, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the help. I had already tried i. and ii. with no improvement. Tried iii. and the Repair Internet Explorer option was greyed out. Then tried iv. and the box was already unchecked. Any more suggestions to try would be great as I still can't access the Paypal.com registration form after trying daily for over a week.

23-10-2001, 01:39 AM
...as a post script, you can 'repair' your Internet Explorer Browser by an alternative method to the one i suggested above.

Open your Internet Explorer folder - usually inside the Programmes Directory of Windows Explorer.

Double click on the icon named 'ie5setup.exe' and then follow your on screen directions.

The fact that the 'repair' function's box is greyed out (as you report) might indicate your original problem is in fact caused by a fault in the Browser.

I hope this works for you.

Cheers !!!

e_