PDA

View Full Version : What progs need to be present for iTunes to install successfully?

braindead
06-12-2011, 09:35 AM
XP SP3

I've tried and failed to install the latest iTunes every which way. Right now I've cleaned out any remnants of:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

...and used Windows Installer Clean Up

Are there any of the above progs that need to be present before I install iTunes?

I've not had this much trouble installing a prog before. Apple make great hardware - if only they paid as much attention to their software! I've probably read what there is on the web about iTunes, but hey...I'm open to ideas and magic formulas :)

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Itunes installs all of them. So none of them are required. Before you install Itunes. Altho the latest version of Itunes doesnt inc QT. What does the error say?? Only thing it may need is net framework?

bevy121
06-12-2011, 11:58 AM
have you re-downloaded the installer?
may be the installer itself that's corrupt

braindead
06-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Update:

After purging the progs in my OP above, I installed the latest versions of Quicktime, Bonjour and iTunes. When the iTunes install was complete I was congratulated by the ghost of Steve Jobs and asked to reboot.

On starting iTunes I was greeted with this error message (http://www.thewatermanchronicles.co.nz/iTunes-error-messages.png).

This pretty much duplicates my previous outcomes after installing iTunes.

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Is XP up to date?? Inc the net framework files?

gary67
06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Why use it, its a crap piece of software from an boring company and doesn't sell or give the option of obtaining good quality .flac files :2cents:

braindead
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Speedy G: yes, all up to date.

gary67: You read my mind :) I didn't want iTunes so much for music as for their huge library of free podcasts. Are there alternative progs to iTunes? ImToo Podworks works well but does not give access external libraries.

iTunes reminds me of the buggy pieces of bloated crap put out by Creative a few years ago. When I cleaned out the registry I found roughly 1000 unused keys for Apple Application Support. And that's not counting the other rubbish various Apple uninstallers left behind.

Anyway...thanks for all the help guys!!

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
There's a list here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_iPod_managers)

braindead
06-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Holy Smokes Speedy G - you're a genius. Thank you!

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
No probs