PDA

View Full Version : Outlook - what the flob !

Disco_Dan
05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Do many of you use Outlook for your emails?

I started a new job, office 9-5 etc - MASSIVE shock as I have done shift work out and about for past 15 years. Never had to use a computer for anything other than playing games etc

Now all of a sudden I have to use Outlook - A LOT.

After 3 days of using it - I hate it.

But I don't really have a choice.

Where can I get it from? I want to install it on my home pc so I can practice but cant find it under $300 with office!

Having all sorts of issues -

Contacts - flob knows how that works, but I need to group contacts into about 10-15 groups with some having the same email address in them as others.

Sending/receiving - sometimes emails arrive instantly other times they arrive 10 minutes later and other times they don't arrive at all.

My boss sends me these weird files that ask me to accept an appointment - I just click on it, but I haven't a clue what it's for.

I got about two days before they cut the leash.... remove the training wheels and leave me to it...

Help !

Is there an "outlook for dummies" or something?

Oh how I wish I could just use my Gmail.......

paulw
05-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the corporate world..

Speedy Gonzales
05-12-2011, 06:48 PM
If you dont know, ask

Jen
05-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Where can I get it from? I want to install it on my home pc so I can practice but cant find it under $300 with office!

[snip]

Is there an "outlook for dummies" or something?
.If you are using the latest version of Outlook at work, then download a free trial version from Microsoft. You can use this to learn with.

There are plenty of self-help books for Outlook - check out your local library. There will be online tutorials as well, have you looked?

CYaBro
05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
You can get a 60 day trial of office 2010 with outlook from microsofts website.
That's probably your best bet.

Disco_Dan
05-12-2011, 07:00 PM
They gave me a crash course but I could barely see the pointer move they went so quick...

I have managed to make folders on the left hand side but thats about it.

Will take a look at youtube etc...

I guess I was kind of hoping to download a file to my brain.... "Outlook for dummies V1.0 grey matter edition"

I work in healthcare - so at least there is lot's of hot nurses in uniform in/out the office all the time!

But it's also important I don't stuff up... just missing ONE email could potentially mean death of a client.

I think it is an older version like 2003 or something as the pc seems to be running XP (which is annoying).

They did ask at the interview if I can use computers... well I can... but not the one program they seem to use all the time!!! Wish they said that part!

CliveM
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
As suggested download the trial version and play with it. It is ,like most things, easy to use once you get to grips with it. Outlook For Dummies is available in Whitcoulls and probably most other larger book stores. Best of luck and try not to kill anyone. There is no way I am going to get ill before Xmas please try to get it sorted out by then. :)

Disco_Dan
05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
As suggested download the trial version and play with it. It is ,like most things, easy to use once you get to grips with it. Outlook For Dummies is available in Whitcoulls and probably most other larger book stores. Best of luck and try not to kill anyone. There is no way I am going to get ill before Xmas please try to get it sorted out by then. :)

Thanks... I suggest you phone.... my extension is... err.. i'll get back to you on that...

wainuitech
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Knew this would come in handy after I found it on Friday :) Online Training, Outlook 2010 the basics + more (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/make-the-switch-to-outlook-2010-RZ101809884.aspx) Even learnt a few things already that i didn't know about

I also have it on CD along with the other Applications in office.

If you need any more links just say and I can post the online versions :thumbs:

Or if you look on the right hand side, you can download the course.:nerd:

wainuitech
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Damn timer on PF1 :yuck: more basic's Online Help (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/basic-tasks-in-outlook-2010-HA101829999.aspx)

Contacts - flob knows how that works, but I need to group contacts into about 10-15 groups with some having the same email address in them as others.
Easy in Outlook 2010.

First click on the Contacts bottom Left

Next click on New Contact Group

Call it something where it Says Name

Next Add Members

Select where you want the contact from Eg: from your contacts list in Outlook, add Them in the next box, Save and all done.

Easy eh!!

wainuitech
05-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Bloody timer is to short -- expand the time geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesss

Training for Outlook 2003 -- 2003 Outlook (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR006183272.aspx)

Tell them to get modern :D

Alex B
05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Google is your friend IE "Outlook 20XX how to group contacts" "Outlook 20XX how to change send/receive intervals" (they should arrive instantly assuming they use exchange)

06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
If emails dont show, go missing etc, get in touch with the Firms IT support. They need to know to be able to fix it.
Keep a track, make notes on missing emails. It may come back to bite you otherwise, if that missing email had important info
needing to be actioned.

Look in the Junk mail folder. Alot ends up in there.

Barnabas
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
to be honest emails seldom disappear by themselves. They are usually 'accidentally' moved into different folders or deleted or there is some rule running that does something to them. Still, I cant deny that it takes a bit of getting used to when you first start using it.

Some handy shortcut keys I use often are Control + 1 for email, control + 2 for calendar, Control + 3 for contacts etc.

If you are really stuck Im sure that me or one of the others here could do a teamviewer session with you to help explain the basics.

pctek
06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
They gave me a crash course but I could barely see the pointer move they went so quick...

They did ask at the interview if I can use computers... well I can... but not the one program they seem to use all the time!!! Wish they said that part!

Hmm. Well, make a fuss. Go back and say I don't know Outlook, I need some one on one training with someone.
Make notes, lots of notes, make them slow down so you can.

And remember it's an MS product - you can select HELP on the menu, you can (if you have internet access) google specific things you need to do in it.

And actually you can buy Outlook For Dummies. There is such a thing.

Disco_Dan
06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Turns out my whole account profile is up the creek... IT guy deleting as we speak and re doing it again...

Today was a lot easier but I missed at least 10 emails today, people cc'd me to another email and they get it but not me. So hopefully it will all be working by the morning.

SP8's
06-12-2011, 07:41 PM
May be a long shot ... but the local Polytech down here are getting rid of a lot of course books and there may be one on Outlook but it would either be 2003 or '07 version. If you're interested I could find out tomorrow for you and send it up to you before the weekend ... they're closing the local Community Learning Centre and the books are going for about $5 each + about 2.50 for postage. The books are easy to follow and would be a lot cheaper than the Dummies ones.

PM your details if you're interested.