PDA

View Full Version : External HDD - Removing data from old internal HDD

garyasta
01-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I have just removed the old WinXP internal HDD from an NEC laptop and installed it as an external HDD in a new Win7 OS laptop.

I want to retain the Data but remove all of the system that related to WinXP. Which files should I remove?

Cheers

bevy121
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Best thing would be to move the data you want to keep somewhere temporarily (the laptop itself if there is room) and then re format the drive.
Then move the data back on to it

That's what I would do anyway

EmoCat
01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Exactly what bevy said. Depending on the size of your documents/files a USB may suffice (of decent size ofcourse). Either that or just find another hard drive, store the data to that one and format the one with the WinXP system data.

pctek
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I have just removed the old WinXP internal HDD from an NEC laptop and installed it as an external HDD in a new Win7 OS laptop.

I want to retain the Data

You can't install an external drive in a laptop, you can only connect it to a laptop.

Copy the files onto the laptop, format the external and copy your files back on to it.

And COPY them back, not move, that way you have them in two locations - should one drive die, you haven't lost anything.

garyasta
01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi Guys

I transferred the old data to the new HDD and formatted the partitions one at a time, then moved the data back to the now external HDD.

Now I have to cancel the partitioning to make a single partition external HDD.

dugimodo
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
You should have repartitioned before copying stuff back

If you can fit everything onto one partition, delete the others then use windows 7 disk management tool to expand the remaining one - note you need to use the first partition for this as I don't think the tool can expand "backwards" so to speak.

Even easier - if you still have the data on the laptop, delete all partitions, create one new one, format, copy, wish you'd done it that way in the first place :0