PDA

View Full Version : VDSL now available in metro areas

jareemon
01-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Anyone got it yet?

pctek
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/broadband-monitor-puzzled-by-lack-of-vdsl-service-in-nz

wainuitech
01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
VDSL achieved download speeds of 17-20 megabits per second Telsta have higher than that already.

Keep in mind thats in a perfect situation / Maximum -- Getting those speeds rely on many factors.

Auckland-based WorldNet offers VDSL2 service for between $61 and $159 a month,, depending on the length of the contract and the data cap. For a lot of people thats to much / month to pay.

inphinity
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting for Telecom to offer VDSL2 as a retail service.

Chilling_Silence
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Meanwhile, TrueNet has recruited its first tester on the UltraFast Broadband (UFB) network, near Whangarei. “For the first time in his life, he’s watching YouTube and NetFlix,” Butt says – the latter through a proxy server in the US, as the service is not supported in New Zealand.

Again, bulk transmission speeds are higher than other broadband technologies, but there seems to be little or no advantage over older services such as ADSL or cable for web-browsing, Butt says.
Wow, watching YouTube! That's amazing! Must be the first person in the country to be able to watch YouTube!! :O :O

I'm with Slingshot. 250GB costs me something like $30 a month (Half-price for the first 6 months). I consistently hit 12mbps, and once Telecom have redone their cable (Long story, but I should be getting over 20mbps), then I'm certain I'll be able to attain the higher rates.
Looking at Worldnet, the same would cost me over $250 a month (Though granted my speeds may go up).

Aside from business who need the higher upload (HSNS is looking like a good option at that price), there's bugger all point for any adoption at all.

Bring the price down and it'll drive up adoption, but I think VDSL2 will always be seen in NZ as a 'premium' product until FTTH arrives to the masses. I personally doubt VDSL2 is actually going to gain much traction at all unless that happens.

Agent_24
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I consistently hit 12mbps, and once Telecom have redone their cable (Long story, but I should be getting over 20mbps)

How far are you from the cabinet? I get 13.4 Mbps transfer rate (15-16M line speed) and am about 200 meters by road.

Chilling_Silence
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm approx 300m, completely new wiring from the demarc (CAT6 from demarc to my router).
My parents are about 700m from the Exchange, they're getting 14.
Have a friend who's just over 1KM from the same exchange who get's 15... (Same router, both houses have good wiring thats < 5 years old)

Agent_24
01-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Wonder if there's something wrong with mine then. Maybe the line goes further than 200m.

Admittedly while my wiring from the splitter to the ADSL router is new (in last 5 years) but the stuff from the demarc to splitter (in fact, from road to demarc as well) is likely decades old.

Problem is I doubt Telecom (or anyone else) will actually care. The connection is rock solid, and faster than 2Mbit.

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Keep in mind that it rarely travels as the crow flies, in fact they take the cables out initially in one great big bundle and split it out, then usually it doubles back a little etc.

However, the speeds Im getting are indicative of a home that is ~2.5 odd KM away. My Cabinet services less than that (Two streets), so even if it went all the way to the end, then back to the cabinet, then to me, it would still not be 2.5KM...

...that and Im still suffering daily disconnections :-/ 28 Chorus visits later and the retards still arent listening to me!

Anyway, what they deem 'acceptable' for ADSL2+ is:
- Sync speeds over 10mbps if you're on a cabinet, or (I think) 1.2mbps for if you're running off an exchange
- Attenuation of up to 50
- Up to 10 disconnections per day

If you fall within those 'boundaries' then good luck getting any work done :p

linw
02-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Wow, those "acceptable" parameters are terrible.

I'm happy with over 14Mbps down and no disconnects (couple of hundred metres from cabinet).

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Yeah pretty much, that's why it's so easy for a tech to show up on-site and say "Nup, nothing wrong here, you're getting decent speeds". In my case I was syncing at 9mbps after being cabinetized. I'm on a "long range profile" which has bumped me up over the 10mbps mark, so they don't give a rats ass about it now. Cheap cop-out if you ask me!

It's not that I'm "unhappy" with my 12, but I know I should be closer to 21 / 22, so I'm a little bummed, but I think that's mostly because I can disconnect up to 50 times in under an hour. Once I get the disconnections resolved, then I'll work on increasing my speed.

paulw
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Telsta have higher than that already.

On ADSL or cable??

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
AFAIK they do up to 25mbps for Cable (Most are 15mbps though), and up to 30mbps as part of their Business Internet packages (VDSL2)

Nomad
02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
VDSL would be more expensive right?

We're pretty happy with ADSL2+ with the 12 or 15Mbit that we get and 1Mbit upload. Got a 30GB package with landline for $80/mo at a one time sign up. I hear that Telecom have those 60GB packages for $120 or so ... far too much data thou :) Saves buying another modem too right or are they supplied :confused:

Nomad
02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
For near a year I think, World Net's provided VDSL right provided your address can get it .....

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
VDSL2 is significantly more expensive. AFAIK Telecom are *always* going to market it as a "Premium" product that you can only get if certain conditions are met on your ADSL2+ line already, like low attenuation / SNR etc, as they want you to obtain a "minimum" speed of something like 40-50mbps. I can't remember the exact details and when I last spoke with Telecom about this, it was several months ago so things may have changed... Their goal was to make it around $10-20 a month more than the equivalent ADSL2+ plans, which is significantly better than anything else out there right now from what I can see :p

halo3king
25-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah I'm on slingshots 100gb plan costing me 50$ a month and I get 0.7 line attenuation, 20mb down 1.24mb up :D But my cabinet is already vdsl2 ready, has been for I think over half a year, but im on a contract with slingshot and I'm happy with my speeds, just my 27ms to next hop latency is lame =\, and thats with interleaving off! But yeah, I hope slingshot brings out vdsl2 plans soon and I hope its not too expensive :)

Chilling_Silence
28-12-2011, 08:34 AM
All the newer Whisper Cabinets have VDSL2 cards, and have done-so since they began the rollout I believe :) Still, I'm jealous of your nice speeds!