PDA

View Full Version : virus damage

20-10-2001, 12:22 PM
recently i managed to catch a virus w32.magistr.39921@mm
i updated my antivirus and got rid of it but there were two files that could not be repaired called helpctr.exe so i deleted them which may not have been a wise thing to do.now when i boot up a message comes up that says product has caused a error in product.exe.from what i have read i think i need to replace these files but i'm not sure how to do it.i don't think my machine came with the OS disc all i have is a product recovery disc from the pc company which i can't get to do anything.
any ideas?
cheers.

23-10-2001, 07:11 PM
If the error comes when your computer is loading windows do this : star (button)t > run and type msconfig. Click on the 'Startup tab' and remove the ticks next too the programmes that crash (if they are there). If the problem starts up before windows starts then try removeing lines ( in c:/Autoexec.bat using notepad)that mention the files that have errors (always make a backup of this file first). Remember always keep your virus scanner updated and use a well know virus scanner like Norton Antivirus 2002.