PDA

View Full Version : Printing labels on CDs

Billy
29-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I am faced with the problem of printing labels on several hundred CDs. It seems I have two choices: (1) printing directly onto Inkjet printable CDs or (2) printing separate labels and sticking them onto the CDs.

As for the first option, there don't seem to be any printers available anymore for printing directly onto Inkjet printable CDs.

As for the alternative, I can't seem to find a company (on the North Shore) that does will print the labels AND then stick them on ordinary CDs.

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. (Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post such a question.)

nedkelly
29-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Um billy there are printers that still print on cds and dvds, they are also able to do normal printing.
I should know considering who I work for.
Sorry for the plug but there are some Canon printers that do cd printing.

Zippity
29-11-2011, 09:21 AM
DON'T use stick on labels :(

Get hold of a Canon PIXMA iP4700 inkjet printer :)

Snorkbox
29-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Or get a Lightscribe CD writer maybe?

http://www.lightscribe.com/gettingstarted/index.aspx?id=87

nedkelly
29-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Lightscribe does not print it inscribes the disc.
So my plug for my company was ok?
So yeah some of the current range are damn amazing with what they do.

Snorkbox
29-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Lightscribe puts writing on CDs. I'm guessing that's all the OP wants so therefore my 2 cents worth.

Lightscribe works for me, does not use printer ink and the labels do not fall off.

gary67
29-11-2011, 11:11 AM
I use a Pixma IP4700 and print on both CD's and DVD's all the time. It works well anf the printer does all the other usual printing too, documents and photo's, for me it has been well worth the investment as we supply CD's of instructions to my sons business

ronyville
29-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I am faced with the problem of printing labels on several hundred CDs.

I could go with a pixma iP4700 or similar, but for printing on several hundred CDs, I would probably find a print company to do it for me, it would be too time consuming to do it yourself, unless thats what you are being paid to do ;)

pctek
29-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Lightscribe or a felt pen.
Sticking things on them can make them spin off balance.

Agent_24
29-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I used a CD Stomper thing once. It puts labels on the CD.

The labels are round, correctly sized and don't cause the CD to unbalance. So far none of them have peeled off either.
But I just don't bother to use it anymore!

Billy
29-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I could go with a pixma iP4700 or similar, but for printing on several hundred CDs, I would probably find a print company to do it for me, it would be too time consuming to do it yourself, unless thats what you are being paid to do ;)

That's what I thought but the companies we tried only printed labels which we had to stick on ourselves. Does anyone know of a North Shore company that does both?

Agent_24
29-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Get a CD Stomper and put the labels on yourself.

Don't know if you can buy them new but there's one here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/blank-discs-cases/other/auction-427524148.htm

feersumendjinn
29-11-2011, 08:37 PM
http://www.kurb.co.nz/cd_dvd_duplication_printing_nz.htm :)

somebody
29-11-2011, 09:43 PM
For the volume you're doing, it might be cheaper to get a professional firm to do it for you (assuming the CDs are all the same).

Disco_Dan
30-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Don't use sticky labels !

I did a whole batch of DVD's a few years ago that way - looked great for a few months, then some started to 'ripple' and peel off. All of them made a heck of a noise when spinning.

Iantech
30-11-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.kurb.co.nz/cd_dvd_duplication_printing_nz.htm :)
Considering the time to print hundreds one at a time on an hourly rate plus media and consumables used if you were to do them yourself on a home CD printer, I reckon their prices are pretty reasonable really. I would look at out-sourcing a job like that.

linw
30-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I certainly wouldn't do them myself at those kurb prices.

paulw
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Don't use sticky labels !

I did a whole batch of DVD's a few years ago that way - looked great for a few months, then some started to 'ripple' and peel off. All of them made a heck of a noise when spinning.

We use sticky labels at work all the time. Never had one come off providing that you don't try to stick them on to disks designed to be printed on . Use a CD Stomper and CD Stomper Pro labels.. Mind you the life expectancy of CDs/ DVDs we do here are about 6 months. At home i use a Canon inkjet printer to print to the disks..

Agent_24
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
They definitely last longer than 6 months.

Mine are years old and haven't peeled off yet. They look just as good as the Mitsubishi Azo CDs they were stuck to, which still look and work the same as the day they were burnt.