PDA

View Full Version : Convert Video8 tape to a digital format?

timmy5953
26-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know of any process which will convert video films recorded onto Sony Video8 tapes (PAL 8) to a digital format? I have about four MP 90 tapes I would like to convert.
Alternatively, is there any commercial organisation that provides the service of converting video from Video8 tape to a digital format?

Bobh
26-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Are you able to play them through your camera? Your camera would be an input device. If you are able to connect it to a DVD recorder you can record it onto a DVD in real time. It may be possible to do a capture and transfer them onto your computer.

I have some old Video8 tapes which I want to eventually transfer onto DVD but before I can do the transfer I need a camera to play the tapes on. I have successfully transferred VHS onto my DVD recorder.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2011, 02:11 PM
If you want to use Windows, you'll need a capture card. And a program to capture it with.

Trev
26-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Here. (http://www.google.co.nz/#q=convert+video+8+to+digital&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryNZ&cr=countryNZ&sa=X&ei=Qz7QTpz7EamsiQKmjNXoCw&ved=0CEsQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=10539f2b624eed6&biw=1897&bih=865)
:)

BBCmicro
26-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV110E, about 1999 vintage, which I keep for that purpose. It plays back 8mm tapes, either analogue or digital. If analogue, the Handycam converts the output to digital, for connecting to a motherboard with an IEEE1394 port.

It was so useful (a year or two ago) that I thought of getting a spare. I found one on Trademe for about $80

(This model Handycam can take in composite+stereo and record to tape. It was my way of recording TV and capturing to a PC, for a while.)

timmy5953
30-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Huge thanks for FANTASTIC RESPONSE. Feel I should just say that this delayed reply is not a sign that i'm ungrateful. Far from it. I just have a neurological condition that sometimes causes days off from key-boarding.
I still have the videocam i took the films with - a Sony CCD TRV41E PAL – which still works fine. My computer is a Toshiba L500, Windows 7, 4GB ram. (Total profile of computer, including all hardware & software, available on Belarc Advisor summary but don’t think I can attach that here).Computer has a DVD optical drive which I can write to & I also write data to an 8GB flash drive.
So the only item I think I need now is a cable to connect the videocam (red, white and yellow plugs) to a USB fitting that would enable it to be plugged into the laptop. Correct? And this will hopefully capture all the audio too?
Once the data is captured in video format (which format?), presumably I would be able to edit it if I got video editing software? At least simple edits like cut, cut&paste? And if none of this works out there is always the commercial companies from Trev’s google search.

Speedy Gonzales
30-11-2011, 10:45 PM
If its got a firewire port, buy a firewire card and cable

timmy5953
02-12-2011, 10:39 AM
what is a firewire port? does a firewire card and cable need to be installed on the toshiba laptop? that would be completely foreign territory for me!

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Might be onboard I dont know. Look at the ports on it. It may have a slot or something for a firewire card. If its not onboard

dugimodo
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Firewire is similar to USB and was/is used by a lot of digital cameras to transfer video to a PC. This is better than capturing because you are just copying the Video digitally onto the PC with no conversion.
A capture card / USB device will still work well if you want to go that way and will work with VHS as well.