PDA

View Full Version : Missing device file

20-10-2001, 12:23 AM
Installed the 'Dail-up networking' patch off the PCWorld CD.for Win98SE,(mistakenly thinking I had 98Se), instead of Win98 only. Every time I reboot, I find that Windows stops at a black screen which say's ...
'Cannot find device file.Win reg.or sys.ini file refering to this device file no longer exists.
ndiswan.vxd.'
I then discovered I had no internet connection...So I reinstalled Win98 to get dialup networking to go again.As my system appears to be functioning OK now- I still have this annoying screen informing me of this missing file??? I really dont want to send in the computer as I have only just got it back from repairs after it was reformatted. This was a result of my OS. melting down.
How do I get rid of it so I may have my PC. boot up normally into Windows when I turn it on please?

20-10-2001, 03:01 AM
Search through your Sys.ini file, in the windows directory, for the line that mentions ndiswan.vxd and delete that line. If it is not there you will need to go into the registry, use Regedit, and search for it there and delete the entry. Make a backup of the registry.

20-10-2001, 01:32 PM
I struck the same problem, even when I downloaded the correct file from Microsofts site-dun14se.exe and installed it. I first deleted Dial up 1.4 using Add/Remove under control panel (be careful here as you are also asked if you want to delete dial up networking. you dont-you only wish to delete the update)if that is your choice. When the missing file propmpt still came up I checked for the file location. The file reference wasn't in my system.ini file of win98se, but deep in the registry. Rather than tinker with that I ran Windoctor (part of Norton Utilities), selected repair all, and hey presto, no more reference to ndiswan.vxd at boot up time. This is one of the advantages of having a diagnostic programme. Norton Utilities is one of a number of such programmes.

22-10-2001, 09:51 AM
Thanks 4 the advice;unfortunately it didnt do the job. I followed your advice,even into the regedit;did a search for the file & deleted it ...but no improvement.However Nortons Utilities was the answer this time,but thanks all the same 4taking the time to try & help me.
Mike