PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD drive not working

mzee
23-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a Presario AMD running Windows Home Sp3.
It had Norton antivirus 360 in it. It was very slow and the antivirus had expired. Removed Norton with Rev Uninstaller, cleaned up lots of Crap, and installed Microsoft Security. Did a full scan and removed several virus (virae?). Computer now running well, nippy & stable. The problem is that the DVD drive is not working. Device manager says that the driver is corrupted. Installed another driver but it still says it is corrupted, and does not register on 'My Computer' or 'Disk manager'.
If I attempt to boot from the DVD the drive spins for a short time then it boots from Windows. This seems to indicate that the Windows driver has nothing to do with it.
The DVD is shown in the BIOS as 1st Boot.

I do not want to restore Windows as this person has installed 107 programs and they would be lost.

Any suggestions would be welcome:)

wainuitech
23-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Do you actually mean Disk manager and not Device Manager ??

Sometimes this works: Try opening device manager - right click the drive if it shows, uninstall - reboot, as long as the drive hasn't suddenly failed, it should automatically reinstall it.

l0gic
23-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Open regedit

Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class

Right Click and export the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} as a backup just incase.

Enter into {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete both UpperFilters and LowerFilters.

Restart and win.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Or run this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)

mzee
23-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Do you actually mean Disk manager and not Device Manager ??

Sometimes this works: Try opening device manager - right click the drive if it shows, uninstall - reboot, as long as the drive hasn't suddenly failed, it should automatically reinstall it.
Shows in 'Device manager' with a yellow flag "windows can not load driver, may be corrupted"
Does not show in 'Disk manager'.
I have uninstalled and rebooted several times, same result. I have added new drivers but says that the installed driver is correct. The drivers are in windows/system32/drivers/. A windows driver problem should not prevent booting from the DVD drive. I could delete the existing drivers and replace them?? Still doesn't explain the booting problem.
Normally I would boot it on Linux and test the CD on that but the only Linux I have are on CD's. I will ask my son, I think he has Ubuntu on a thumb drive. Maybe I should also change the cable to the CD.

wainuitech
23-11-2011, 02:44 PM
A windows driver problem should not prevent booting from the DVD drive Have you got another drive you can plug in to test to make sure its not the actual drive, or another CD, anything bootable, Windows, memtest etc.

You are correct in what you say -- a HDD doesn't even need to be attached for it to boot from a CD/DVD.

If its not actually booting from the CD, It looks like its basically not reading the CD's, as it hasn't even gotten to the Windows OS yet.

l0gic
23-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Mzee, before you go any further. Please try what I've already suggested, either manually with the steps I've posted or with the MS Fixit posted by Speedy.

I'd wager my favourite pen on that being it.

linw
23-11-2011, 03:46 PM
BIC??

mzee
23-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Or run this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)
You are a gentleman and a scholar!!
Amazing! Fixed the driver in Windows Ok.
Havn't tried booting with it again yet. Doesn't really matter at the moment.
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Its similar to what L0gic said, except it does it for you. You've probably installed something like daemontools. Or some Roxio program. That can stuff it up

mzee
23-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Its similar to what L0gic said, except it does it for you. You've probably installed something like daemontools. Or some Roxio program. That can stuff it up
The owner has installed 107 programs, never seen most of them before.

pctek
23-11-2011, 08:06 PM
The owner has installed 107 programs, never seen most of them before.
probably why it's full of malware. They pobably are malware.
You need SPybot and Malware Bytes too - MSSE isn't enough, it's just an AV