PDA

View Full Version : Sound Blaster Live!

19-10-2001, 08:51 PM
Hi, I really need to know how to get a SoundBlaster Live! card to work, cause at the moment my computer's got no sound. I don't have the driver CD :( and Windows ME doesn't seem to support it. So I downloaded 25mb worth of file which supposedly had drivers and stuff in it, which sorta worked... like it now comes up with SoundBlaster Live! Series in the System Properties, but still no sound, and I can't even get a volume control to appear - if I go into Sound and Multimedia from Control Panel the Sound Blaster is not an option for audio device (but the modem is, even though it doesn't have a socket for a speaker)...
How do I get it to work, or even better, can anyone send me a copy of the CD (if that'll get it to work)?

19-10-2001, 08:59 PM
Oh yeah, I just formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows ME, so there's nothing else on there yet.

19-10-2001, 09:09 PM
Why don't you have a driver cd mike? you usually get one with a retail purchase.

19-10-2001, 09:13 PM
Actually, even OEM comes with a CD, but retail comes with all these other extras.

19-10-2001, 10:10 PM
forget the cd. if you have downloaded liveware3 it will have the nessacary drivers with it.

in windows setup have you got the volume control and audio compresion installed??

20-10-2001, 12:09 AM
I don't have the CD cause I bought the Soundblaster second hand and got no CD.

I downloaded Liveware3 and went through all the setup, and it detected everything like it should, just no Volume control (its greyed out in the Sound and Multimedia control panel)
Everything is fully installed in Windows setup.
Should I try formatting again and reinstalling all over?

Mike
05-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Anybody remember how I fixed it? :D

I've just dual-booted into 98SE, but I cannot for the life of me get the SBLive to work. It installs the driver fine and all the software, it just does not drive the card.

Now I know the card works, as here I am sitting in Win XP and it happily chirps away like it should.

I suppose I should make this a new thread so that nobody ignores the 1 1/2 year old one :)

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
05-04-2003, 05:49 PM
LOL!

I too have the same prob, downlaoded 25 odd Megs of files, Win 98 SE...

It just wont work?

Im having to use the AC '97 OnBoard, and Im not liking it :(

Mike
05-04-2003, 06:25 PM
> LOL!
>
> I too have the same prob, downlaoded 25 odd Megs of
> files, Win 98 SE...

I managed to get hold of a SB Live CD, but installing anything from that just didn't work... even followed the instructions on the SB.com website on how to remove all the driver files to install them fresh didn't work. The most annoying thing is that it happened before (hence the original post) but I managed to do it in the end, but now I just can't remember what I did!

> It just wont work?

just won't work!

> Im having to use the AC '97 OnBoard, and Im not
> liking it :(

Lucky you've got some sound - I've got no onboard sound; the SB Live is the only sound card and it isn't working.

Mike.

somebody
05-04-2003, 06:51 PM
I don't know why SoundBlaster Live! didn't work with WinME. Someone I know has had it running on over 10 WinME PCs for the last 2 years without any problems.

Mike
05-04-2003, 07:18 PM
> I don't know why SoundBlaster Live! didn't work with
> WinME.

Not just Win ME - My problem at the moment is with 98SE.

> Someone I know has had it running on over 10
> WinME PCs for the last 2 years without any problems.

I got it to work with ME last time, and it worked fine from then, but since I went to XP I've forgotten how to get it to work under ME (or 98). Any chance this "someone" you know might be able to help us out?

Mike.

minos#2
05-04-2003, 07:59 PM
if you have a VIA chipset motherboard then download the 4in1 drivers, install reboot and try the soundcard again

:-)

Chilling_Silence
05-04-2003, 08:15 PM
I believe I have an Elitegroup K7S5A motherboard.

Works fine in 2K with the 2K drivers downloaded?

Mike
06-04-2003, 01:50 PM
How odd - just installed Win ME and used the ME Liveware 3 drviers and it worked straight off. But can't get it to work under 98SE.

Perhaps I'll just stick with ME for a while (I prefer ME to 98SE anyway).

I don't have a VIA chipset - I've got a Gateway Kadoka motherboard.

Mike.

somebody
06-04-2003, 02:34 PM
This "someone" I know is the computer technician at my school. I saw him installing the drivers for it, and it simply worked. I don't think he did anything fancy.

I've got a SoundBlaster Live! card in my home computer running WinXP Home. As far as I know, it was installed when I bought the machine early last year, however I have done a reinstall before (XP and 98SE) and somehow it worked.

Could you possibly have a faulty soundcard? It might pay to try it in someone elses computer, or a different PCI slot.

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2003, 02:39 PM
But I know mine isnt faulty, working fine in XP/2K/RedHat 8/Lycoris/Mandrake... just 98 wont play nice?

somebody
06-04-2003, 02:58 PM
I suppose if it works with all those, then it shouldn't be faulty.

To be honest... I don't actually have any other ideas to get it going. Sorry.

I'm guessing that you've downloaded the drivers and tried them, as well as trying the CD.

Chilling_Silence
06-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Well, Ive actually lost my CD.

I did however use the CD drivers on XP/2K, and downloaded drivers on XP/2K as well.. worked fine.

Linux came with the drivers :-)

Just 98 wont play nice!