PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Modem Compatabilty in NZ

aj555
21-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi there,

I am looking at purchasing a NetGear DGN2200 Wireless Modem Router for my parents.

Can I use an Australian purchased product on the NZ (Telecom) networks, or do I have to do a major reconfiguring of the settings?

Thanks
Andrew

Iantech
21-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi and welcome to the board. You should be able to. You will need to change the VPI and VCI settngs and maybe also the Encapsulation.
Austrilia is VPI 8 and VCI 35 whereas NZ is VPI 0 and VCI 100 and Encapsulation PPPoA VC-MUX.

It "should" work, but that does not mean it will, I've had some NZ new modems that wont connect in some areas and will in others!!
Give it a go.
Good luck.

aj555
21-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your welcome and quick reply.
Sounds sounds like it will work - I understand what the VPI and VPO settings are - which are straight forward to change. As for PPPoA settings, I presume that is a simple setting change too?

In Christchuech arere there any retailers that sell these products (I don't mean the DSE or the Havey Normans)?
Thanks again.

feersumendjinn
21-11-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=computer+shops+chch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

aj555
21-11-2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=computer+shops+chch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yep did that - as I don't live in NZ any more I was after a recommendation as I'm not familar local dealers.

Iantech
21-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for your welcome and quick reply.
Sounds sounds like it will work - I understand what the VPI and VPO settings are - which are straight forward to change. As for PPPoA settings, I presume that is a simple setting change too?

In Christchuech arere there any retailers that sell these products (I don't mean the DSE or the Havey Normans)?
Thanks again.Hi, yep, the PPPoA selection is just a drop box to select. That model does seem to be available over here, around the $140 - $150 mark. Not sure whats available in Chch, I had a look on Dragon PC and a few others, it was listed but not in stock. Ascent in Wellington have them for $137 with free shipping (I use them quite often as it is often cheaper to buy from there than trying to buy it in Chch) so may be a good option.
Cheers

aj555
21-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi Iantech,

Since it seems a simple reconfigure, I grab in Aust - only $99Aud.

linw
22-11-2011, 09:12 AM
And $A99 = $NZ130!!

Iantech
22-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Aj, set the username up as user@xtrabb.co.nz , no password, and dynamic IP while you are in making the other changes and it should work straight off ("should")
Good luck

Agent_24
22-11-2011, 12:37 PM
You can enter whatever you like for the username and password, as far as I know.

I use my old 'xadsl' username out of habit, but since they authenticate by line itself rather than password it shouldn't matter.

linw
22-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Telecom told me Anything@xtra.co.nz will work. Your modem may require a password. Any password will do.

aj555
22-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks all...

I went for a Billion 7800NL instead - so fingers crossed for tomorrow

aj555
23-11-2011, 09:04 PM
well I have spent all afternoon and the evening getting the modem to work, I have been on the phone to Telecom and everything is fine at their end - I get the DSL light but not internet light which means no authentication- there is a quick set up scan which has picked up the correct VCI VSI settings as well as PPPoA, so I'm at a complete loss. I'm sure it is something simple.
Anybody have any thoughts?

Agent_24
23-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Do you have the latest firmware? Might be a compatibility issue.

linw
24-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Telecom should be able to tell you what is happening when your modem tries to authenticate. Worth asking them to monitor that phase.

Agent_24
24-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Telecom should be able to tell you what is happening when your modem tries to authenticate. Worth asking them to monitor that phase.

*horrible laughter*
Clearly you've never tried asking them to do just that...

Though If you've ever managed to do so, I salute you!

Safari
24-11-2011, 11:51 AM
*horrible laughter*
Clearly you've never tried asking them to do just that...

Though If you've ever managed to do so, I salute you!

So you have VPI 0 and VCI 100

Have you got filters installed on all your phones, sky etc
Try connecting the modem to another phone jack
Do you have a monitored security alarm in the house.