PDA

View Full Version : Xnet - keeps dropping out

globe
20-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Replaced my modem back in may. Service has been ok since but lately over the last week or so it keeps dropping out - the ppp light goes out. Tonight alone it has dropped out 5 times in 3hours - including now as I write.

Ideas / suggestions most welcome.

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Ring Xnet? And telecom, and get them to check your line

globe
21-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Ring Xnet? And telecom, and get them to check your line

yeah been there and done that before I changed the modem.

(a)the issue with telecom is they send out a tech and they have a look in the box at the end of the street cant find any issues, plug in their modem and unless its when its dropped it works and they clear off saying its all ok from their perspective.
(b) Ring xnet they monitor it for 24 hour and say oh yeah there are a few drops we can send telecom out to have a look - refer to scenario (a) above less $250 (or whatever the cost is these days). When I discussed (a) with xnet they said yeah thats how telecom behave and we can't do much more than send them out again. (classic case of consumer is piggy in the middle, again it seems)

Is there a specific task I should be asking them to carry out/check ? and the other question is lets say I changed provider would that resolve the issue or are faults like this more often than not from the lines company rather than the supplier ? In my simple understanding of these things surely the ISP just bung the data down the pipe and if the pipe is not working correctly then it is irrelevant who is putting the info through that pipe ?

linw
21-11-2011, 08:31 AM
One of my reasons for being with Telecom - (a) and (b) are combined!

Have you checked the modem stats like SNR margin, Line Attenuation, Data Rate? That info is a good starter.

globe
21-11-2011, 08:49 AM
One of my reasons for being with Telecom - (a) and (b) are combined! For now...

Have you checked the modem stats like SNR margin, Line Attenuation, Data Rate? That info is a good starter. Nah, no idea how to go about this. If you could give me some pointers I will have a read up and look into it (always keen to learn new stuff).

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2011, 08:52 AM

berryb
21-11-2011, 02:14 PM
How long are the outages? If the outage is long enough to get onto the help desktop and get them to do a port test/reset. If the outage is not very long you can still ask for a port reset.
Normally these issues are beyond your front gate but you need to make sure you have checked your internal devices. Are all the filters plugged in, don’t forget about Sky. Test by removing filters and see if issue continues. A faulty filter is unlikely though.

I had 2 clients recently with PPP light not on - one was faulty modem (network ports weren't working either so easy to find fault) and other was faulty Port at the cabinet. The tech took a long time to sort the issue as it wasn't an easy fix.

globe
22-11-2011, 07:43 PM
One of my reasons for being with Telecom - (a) and (b) are combined!

Have you checked the modem stats like SNR margin, Line Attenuation, Data Rate? That info is a good starter.

Got this info from the router this evening (after a significant amount of hassle including factory reset(forgot password) and then serious struggle with google to find out how to get it) but nevertheless here it is..

--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG160Nv2
Firmware Version: A2.00.20 , 2010-06-30T21:05:56
GUI Version: A2.00.20_007
Boot Version: 1.0.37-5.4
Hardware Version: 0.01

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI: 0/100
DSL Status: Showtime
DSL Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Channel:
DSL Upstream Rate: 1240 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 14287 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 12.4 dB 12.6 dB
DSL Attenuation: 9.0 dB 4.0 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 0.0 dBm 12.8 dBm

--- Wireless Information ---
Wireless Driver Version: 1.3.1.174
Wireless Tools Version: 28
Wireless Status: Enabled
Wireless Wide Channel: 9
Wireless Standard Channel: 11- 2.462GHZ
Wireless SSID: linksys

--- Dynamic Information ---
LAN Mac Address: 98:FC:11:9C:0B:E3
WAN Mac Address: 98:FC:11:9C:0B:E5
Wireless Mac Address: 98:FC:11:9C:0B:E4

Do these stats look normal ?

linw
23-11-2011, 07:59 AM
They look fine to me. Keep hold of these (DSL Noise, Atten, UP/Down data rate) for quoting to troubleshooters.

globe
23-11-2011, 08:12 AM
How long are the outages? Varies, sometimes a few minutes sometimes half an hour or so

Normally these issues are beyond your front gate but you need to make sure you have checked your internal devices. Are all the filters plugged in, donít forget about Sky. Test by removing filters and see if issue continues. A faulty filter is unlikely though. . No sky, the only filter is the one in the little box the bloke wired up outside when he came over to set us up. Thinking about it every now and again I come home from work and the cordless display does say line fault (unless it is not on the cradle properly) so maybe there is an issue there ? The internet port and the phone jack are two separate outlets in different rooms also.

I had 2 clients recently with PPP light not on - one was faulty modem (network ports weren't working either so easy to find fault) How does one establish if this is the issue ?

and other was faulty Port at the cabinet. The tech took a long time to sort the issue as it wasn't an easy fix. Chorus have been out and looked at the cabinet several months ago and reckon everything was hunky dory. I kept getting drops previously with an old crappy modem and now I have a new less crappy modem the issue went away for a few months but now seems to be creeping back.

Bugger me its frustrating as it could end up costing me a small fortune to resolve this as you seem to have to get a different "expert" out for each piece of the puzzle. Anyone know of a one stop shop that would check everything on my side and them i could go back to xnet and tell them all is good on my side. Guess the issue is if it dont drop when they are there its hard to analyse the problem ?

globe
23-11-2011, 08:13 AM
They look fine to me. Keep hold of these (DSL Noise, Atten, UP/Down data rate) for quoting to troubleshooters. SO would this suggest to you the issue lies with stuff outside of my boundary ?

linw
23-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Yes, but who knows whether your modem resets with power issues etc?. But the link to the Telecom exchange looks inherently fine.

I'm afraid I can't help much more than this. It is VERY frustrating, though, I know.

Can you test with another modem? That would at least rule out the modem if it still dropped out.