PDA

View Full Version : Router for printer

agus
20-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi,

I have a printer Brother inkjet MFC-6490CW and I would like to set up a wireless network.

Its manual says that I have to connect to wireless router. My questions are:

1. Is router same as we use for internet or I have to use special one?
2. Do I need internet connection for wireless network?

Thanks in advance

WarNox
20-11-2011, 05:40 PM
1. Yes, same as the network you would use for your laptops, iPhones etc
2. No, you do not need internet connectivity for this to work, as long as the internal network is all up and running

agus
20-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks WarNox

agus
20-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi WarNox,

My router is D-Link DSL - G604T.

According to Brother's manual, there are two ways to setup wireless connection.

1. By confirming Network Environment (Infrastructure mode).
I have to know about SSID (Service Set ID or Network name) and WEP Key

2. By Automatic Wireless (one push) setup

I have no idea which one I should choose and also i don't know my network name (SSID) and WEP Key.

Could you explain me more?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Ive got the same modem (but cant use it on Telstra). It kept cutting me off. Log into the router and look for the SSID / and change it to something better than WEP (if you use something else thats wireless (besides the printer). The printer must have wireless settings somewhere, that you have to configure (there maybe a SSID / what kind of security option it can use in its options somewhere)

agus
22-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi,

Does SSID of router only relate to particular computer?

For an example, if I have a router's SSID for my PC and I use this router for my laptop. Do I need to find a new SSID for laptop or I can use existing one?

ronyville
22-11-2011, 09:35 PM
SSID is the wireless name that you connect to. Use the same one to connect your printer.

Renmoo
22-11-2011, 10:52 PM
And your WEP key should be somewhere under "Wireless Security" in the router homepage (192.168.1.1).

That is if your wireless network is secured via WEP algorithm.

WarNox
22-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Think of the printer as another device wireless on your network, be it a laptop, iPhone, iPad, whatever. What information do you normally need to connect to your wireless network?

1. The network name (SSID)
2. The password (WEP is just the algorithm used to encrypt the password)