PDA

View Full Version : Plug and Play monitor

19-10-2001, 05:43 PM
How do I get rid of a 'Plug and Play Monitor' message everytime I start up.

I recently rebuilt my PC with Windows SE. Overall things went well except for the P & P finding the monitor. To me, at a fairly basic knowledge level, my monitor was already going fine but anyway I followed instructions and eventually installed a new driver. I now had 480*640 and could not adjust my resolution. I reinstalled and ignored the 'Plug and Play monitor' message and everything works fine. My monitor is an HP Ultra VGA but shows now as 'Unknown device' However as I am happy with it how do I stop the P & P message

19-10-2001, 07:14 PM
Have you unchecked 'automatically detect plug & play monitors' in settings/advanced/monitors.
It's in 98, but not sure about SE.

19-10-2001, 08:21 PM
I should check that you have in fact installed the driver for your monitor. From Control Panel go to: display-settings-advanced-monitor-change-next-display a list of all the drivers...
Your HP monitor should be listed, if not, check that you have the correct driver for your monitor and re-install.
Windows should detect it as an HP and not just a generic plug and play.
What the driver also does is to define the resolution and refresh rates for the monitor.

19-10-2001, 09:18 PM
Yes its important to install the driver that is correct for your monitor otherwise its possible a refresh rate thats damaging could be set.

Whats suspect is that windows says 'unknown monitor' which suggests an appropriate driver isn't installed.

21-10-2001, 03:33 PM
All replies seem to agree that I should be able to go to Display/advanced/monitor - sorry I do not know whats meant to be there but monitor is not a tab available in my SE version. however it looks like I had better find an HP driver to solve the problem.

21-10-2001, 03:33 PM
All replies seem to agree that I should be able to go to Display/advanced/monitor - sorry I do not know whats meant to be there but monitor is not a tab available in my SE version. however it looks like I had better find an HP driver to solve the problem.

21-10-2001, 03:43 PM
Installed correct HP driver now and works OK - Advanced/monitor tab now showing Thanks to all