PDA

View Full Version : How to Duplicate Mouse Activity and Keyboard activity from one PC to another PC

rockonme
17-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi, I wanted to know that how to duplicate or control mouse from one PC to another PC? I mean for example if i click Browser icon in one desktop, another PC Desktop icon should be clicked, both PC's are connected via network. Is there any software exists?? Please suggest me any idea to achieve this.

psycik
17-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Do you want the mouse (and keyboard) usable on both machines? Have a look at synergy.

I use that at work with a desktop and a laptop, the same mouse can traverse from the PC desktop to the laptop - meaning I can work on two machines at once.

Agent_24
17-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Unless the operating system, and EVERYTHING on the computer is set up exactly the same as the other, duplicating the mouse movements etc will not cause the exact same result.

I think want you probably want is some kind of remote desktop control program like TightVNC.

rockonme
17-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I mean to say, Mouse and Keyboard should work simultaneously in both PC's at the same time, Our QA department needs to test 2 computers at the same time. the concept is that both computers will have the same software installed but one of them will have a higher version installed. the users will need to navigate through each screen and click on the same buttons on both computers. if they could use one mouse for both computers at the same time that would cut down our QA time in Half!!! any idea to achieve this??

rockonme
17-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the quick reply :) TightVNC is same as Windows RDP.,but I want like whatever i do in one PC, another PC should follow.?

Agent_24
17-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds like a pretty specific application (and I don't mean the software you want to test)... I'm not sure there is anything to do that. At least I've never heard of it anyway. That doesn't mean there isn't, though.

I guess you'd want some hardware similar to a KVM switch but to clone the input instead of switching it.

Maybe contact a vendor of such equipment and ask if they have anything that can do what you want?

There may also be software that can do it too. That might require some good Google-Fu on your part

Billy T
21-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I mean to say, Mouse and Keyboard should work simultaneously in both PC's at the same time, Our QA department needs to test 2 computers at the same time. the concept is that both computers will have the same software installed but one of them will have a higher version installed. the users will need to navigate through each screen and click on the same buttons on both computers. if they could use one mouse for both computers at the same time that would cut down our QA time in Half!!! any idea to achieve this??I get close to that with a mechanical KVM switch, working on the same program in two computers at once, but it is not quite 'real-time simultaneous', which is what you want.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gary67
21-11-2011, 06:54 PM
What about those Logitec keyboards and mice that have unifying USB dongles would that work? Assuming the one dongle can be used for both the keyboard and mouse if you bought both you would have 2 dongles.

I have no idea if it will work but in theory no reason why it shouldn't

Agent_24
21-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Actually that could work very well with some of the older models of wireless keyboard and mice (or maybe cheaper new ones)

However, there were of course problems with people buying multiple sets and getting interference problems so nowadays they have unique IDs and channel locking to prevent that sort of thing.

Of course if you do find some that work, you'll have the fun of screwing around with batteries for the things all the time. Perhaps modifying them to take power from USB would be a good idea. You'd just need a USB cable and a 3v regulator...

fred_fish
21-11-2011, 07:30 PM
So what if a dialog box opens 20 pixels to the left on one machine?
I honestly can't see this idea working in any fashion that will save you time.
There are scripting & automation suites available for precisely this type of testing.

Agent_24
21-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Exactly. That's why I said in my first post, "Unless the operating system, and EVERYTHING on the computer is set up exactly the same as the other, duplicating the mouse movements etc will not cause the exact same result."

Interestingly his idea was:
the concept is that both computers will have the same software installed but one of them will have a higher version installed.

Since the software is not exactly the same, the likelihood of issues as you suggest with dialog boxes opening in different places is quite high.

kahawai chaser
21-11-2011, 09:39 PM
As noted above from fred fish there are many tools for automated parallel testing (http://www.google.co.nz/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=automated+software+parallel+testing&pbx=1&oq=automated+software+parallel+testing&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=12679l14903l0l16260l9l8l0l0l0l7l1345l7601l6-3.4l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=10539f2b624eed6&biw=1024&bih=473), which can churn out comparative data. But of course they cost, depending on specifics, and include enterprise software. But unsure if you can visualize different versions running simultaneously.

rockonme
22-11-2011, 05:26 PM
There are scripting & automation suites available for precisely this type of testing.

To avoid automation scripting, I thought to do this idea :) coz automation takes more time to if any UI or any funtionality changed in next release. So I cameup with this idea,. Is it possible script to communicate with both PC's through the network , so the both PC's keyboard and Mouse activity can be synced, Script shoulde controle PC's Keyboard n mouse acticity such at it should know what it is clicking and typing in both PC's,..any suggestion on impliment this idea..? which script (language) helps to achive this type of automation ??

Agent_24
22-11-2011, 05:34 PM
The time you spend buggering around trying to find some way of doing it can probably make up for the time lost just doing the task manually. Well, maybe.

The PS/2 data protocol seems rather simple actually. You could probably build a mouse and keyboard duplicator with a microcontroller.

If you don't know how, maybe you can pay someone to do it for you.

fred_fish
22-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I'd go the VNC route and have a screen(s)full of scaled remote sessions to the testing boxen and a hired monkey IT graduate to click the buttons in the required fashion.

rockonme
22-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd go the VNC route and have a screen(s)full of scaled remote sessions to the testing boxen and a hired monkey IT graduate to click the buttons in the required fashion.

We have limited budget ;) so we have to use exsisting human resouses, so i'm thinking not to use more decated monkeys only for clicking bottons : |

Renmoo
22-11-2011, 08:03 PM
What about those Logitec keyboards and mice that have unifying USB dongles would that work? Assuming the one dongle can be used for both the keyboard and mouse if you bought both you would have 2 dongles.

I have no idea if it will work but in theory no reason why it shouldn't
Good idea, Gary. The problem is that each of the devices can only be paired / unified to one particular dongle. I tried pairing up my Logitech K320 keyboard to both my netbook and the primary station the other day and the device refused to work with two devices simultaneously.

Cheers :)

Agent_24
22-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Try with the older A4 tech wireless keyboards\mice

My friend had 2 sets and they would often interfere with each other.