PDA

View Full Version : Slow HP lap

Cicero
15-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Friend complained of slow laptop.
I installed CCleaner it found two gig of crap and a lot in registry scan.
Installed Spybot and to my surprise it only found double click, that after having no protection other than his AV which is Trend Micro.

Still slow.

I left it that, as I only called in for 5 mins.

What do you think of this lads?

Speedy Gonzales
15-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Whats the specs of it / how much ram is in it? Get a HJT log off it

CYaBro
15-11-2011, 10:11 AM
How full is the HDD?
Have you done a decent defrag with MyDefrag or Defraggler?
What else is running on the laptop at startup? Still got all the HP bloat?

Cicero
15-11-2011, 10:38 AM
How full is the HDD?
Have you done a decent defrag with MyDefrag or Defraggler?
What else is running on the laptop at startup? Still got all the HP bloat?

Thanks Speedy.

Full of HP bloat, they have a 75 gig H/D which is 75% full, did a defrag, as I say I left them to it.

They are the types that think if the computer has HP crap onit, it should be on it, .

Forgot to look at Ram, will check that next time I visit, meantime thanks lads.

pctek
15-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Cleaners only go so far. Sometimes it comes time to wipe it and start from scratch. Does wonders for speed.

15-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Some Vista lappies were so underpowered they would barely be usuable -after AV & MFC printers etc were loaded up.

defrag is allmost a complete waste of time on modern PC's. I doubt it will help much at all
-so they have 50G worth of 'stuff' loaded up. Perhaps it needs a de-crapulate (re-install)
-often the case when that much 'stuff' is on the HD, its a sure sign .

-check CPU speed its running at, what ver of Win & RAM installed
-run malwarebytes
-run msconfig & start disabling startups (all of them) to see if that helps

Cicero
15-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Some Vista lappies were so underpowered they would barely be usuable -after AV & MFC printers etc were loaded up.

defrag is allmost a complete waste of time on modern PC's. I doubt it will help much at all
-so they have 50G worth of 'stuff' loaded up. Perhaps it needs a de-crapulate (re-install)
-often the case when that much 'stuff' is on the HD, its a sure sign .

-check CPU speed its running at, what ver of Win & RAM installed
-run malwarebytes
-run msconfig & start disabling startups (all of them) to see if that helps
I suggested removing some of start up stuff, but she insisted it was needed, though she didn't know what it was for, at that point I feel quite aggravated, bite my tonge and leave.

But the feeling pass's and I want to help the silly buggers.

Will pass all info on and leave to them, much appreciated lads, (PC is as good as any lad)

CYaBro
15-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I have to disagree with that.
We run MyDefrag on pretty much every PC that comes into the workshop and it makes a difference on every single one, even new computers, some more than others as it depends on how bad the data is to start with.
The built in Windows defrag is usless though.

linw
15-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I guarantee there are heaps of unnecessary startups. ALL proprietary machines leave the factory like that then acquire lots more over time.

But if they won't kill them, then they should stop complaining.

bevy121
15-11-2011, 01:42 PM
apart from the resident TM on the lappie, you haven't done a scan av for anything have you?

Might pay to do an online scan with something else other than rely on trend to have done the job

Here's nod32 online scanner (http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/) for example

Cicero
15-11-2011, 02:00 PM
apart from the resident TM on the lappie, you haven't done a scan av for anything have you?

Might pay to do an online scan with something else other than rely on trend to have done the job

Here's nod32 online scanner (http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/) for example

The problem thereis, the micro thing blocks everything and they wouldn't know what to do, all you get is a mystified look, and a hint of fear, that it might get worse.

Most people I meet are quite attached there bad set up.

What was the the defragger that you think is good?

bevy121
15-11-2011, 02:28 PM
ah ok - so they would like it fixed so it runs like a real one - but they don't want anything actualy changed or interfered with.

Makes it kinda difficult doesn't it?

the defrag's mentioned were
MyDefrag (http://www.mydefrag.com/) and Defraggler (http://www.piriform.com/defraggler)

I use defraggler occasionaly - but I dont think thats gonna make much improvement this time personaly