PDA

View Full Version : USb 3.0 and PCI Slots ?

Ninjabear
13-11-2011, 02:55 AM
I have a P8H67-M Asus motherboard

If I buy a USb 3.0 Card would i be sticking that card into the PCIEX16 slot?
It says I have two of those slot. One is currently in used by my mother board and the other one is empty.
There's also a PCI Express x1 slot which says in the manual that it is used for SCSi,Network cards, and other cards comply with pci express specification.

Assumed I have the usb 3.0 card inserted into my PC.I would be using a Sata2 external 3.5" harddrive with a usb 3.0 docking station.Will I see a difference in data transfer oppose to everything being usb 2.0?

I have heard online forums saying that a single harddrive can't spin that fast to make use of usb 3.0 but I also heard that Sata2 has the same equivalent speed of a usb 3.0 and that you should see a transfer increase.

One more thing. Is there a big impact in terms of speed between DDR3 -1333 and DDR3-1666?

There isn't much info between the two types . All I know is DDR-1666 is very expensive?

What do you guys think?

pcuser42
13-11-2011, 09:19 AM
PCIe x1 can be used for USB 3.0.

Nomad
13-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I am no pro and I don't have USB3. But from what I seen the theoretical rates are pretty good for USB2 but USB2 in practice just does not go that fast, it might take up to 2x as long compared to say eSATA which is the same as internal SATA. I have a HD dock that allows you connect via USB2 or via eSATA using the same HD.

From what I gather USB3 is a more efficient pathway than USB2. You will never get 10x the theoretical speed of USB2 - don't know what the speed of USB2 but yeah ... you get the idea. Isn't USB2 like 400 Mbps or 400/8 = 50MB/sec. That doesn't happen on mine. And USB3 isn't gonna be 500MB/sec.

PS. You may want to search for some youtube videos where they do comparisons. From them USB3 works similar to eSATA :confused: Hence, why some say maybe consider SSD if you are concerned with speeds. From my collated spreadsheet, my USB2 goes at 28MB/sec, eSATA of the same HD for me 68MB/sec.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I take it you mean 1066 not 1666 (which I dont think it supports)

Nomad
13-11-2011, 09:56 AM
JFYI, some data I seen USB3.0 might be 10-15% faster than eSATA. But would you notice this in real life? If you don't have eSATA, eSATA is pretty easy to implement, just buy a $8 bracket and attach it directly to a internal SATA connector so you can plug the eSATA cable at the back of your computer. My motherboard was advertised with eSATA but they just used the internal SATA connectors :lol: and they did give you a free bracket.

If you are going from USB2.0 to USB3.0 yeah you should get a bit more than 100% performance gain - at least in test scenarios like single large file.

The better if you are copying large files. Like us, we don't, so not much point for us unless you copy a HD image file once in a blue room to the main PC to be archived to a DVD disc.

dugimodo
13-11-2011, 12:58 PM
For modern Hard drives it's a lot faster than USB 2.0 and you will notice it.

If you are using eSATA then you probably won't notice any improvement as both interfaces are faster than most hard drives.

But it's not just about speed, eSATA can be a nuisance, you can't hot swap drives unless your BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID and you can't easily change it if it isn't and doing so will likely prevent windows from booting.
What this means is adding an eSATA drive can require a restart to be recognised and there is no way to safely remove it except shutting windows down. (which is what AHCI/RAID mode fixes)
Sure your average computer geek would have no problem with this, but for many users it's just too confusing to get working. USB 3.0 on the other hand hot swaps fine no worries with settings in the BIOS.

Nomad
13-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I gather makes sense but maybe more on a system that had inbuilt USB3.0 ports onto the motherboard or the laptop.

Some people may wonder why they need to plug it it into this "card" when there are all these other USB ports available.

Ninjabear
16-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi

Does it matter what brand the USB 3 card is ?Can i just randomly get 1?Are they all the same?

I think this question relates to graphics card also. Does it matter if its a Powercolor, HSI, Sapphire ,ASUS ATI 6870?