PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor setup

bk T
10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I am tring to set up a second Monitor to my PC running Win 7 with Gigabyte HD 4850 (GV-R485ZL-512H) vga card. This is what I did:

Primary Monitor : connected to the DVI output of the VGA card; (this is my original monitor - Viewsonic VX2450)

2nd Monitor (older): connected to the other DVI output using a DVI -to D-Sub Adaptor. (an old Viewsnoic VA702 monitor)

Both monitors don't show any sign of life when the computer is turned ON - not even POST. I could however, hear some 'searching' noise (as if it is searching for something) from the PC.

Is my above setup correct or I need a second video card if I want to have dual Monitor?

Ofthesea
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
You've done the obvious settings for monitors 1 & 2 at "Display Settings"?

bk T
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I couldn't even start up the computer, how am I going to configure the 'Windows settings'?

When I pull out the 2nd monitor, my PC still refuses to start up; I have to turn OFF the power from the wall outlet and then turn it back ON in order to start it up.

What have I done wrong? Or, my 2nd monitor is too old?

johnd
10-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I have recently done this task twice - once with W7 and once with Ubuntu 10.04. Both machines just went. I am thinking a power supply issue??

bk T
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Unlikely it's the PSU. I have a Corsair 650W psu

pctek
11-11-2011, 06:31 AM
I am tring to set up a second Monitor to my PC running Win 7 with Gigabyte HD 4850 (GV-R485ZL-512H) vga card. This is what I did:

Primary Monitor : connected to the DVI output of the VGA card; (this is my original monitor - Viewsonic VX2450)

2nd Monitor (older): connected to the other DVI output using a DVI -to D-Sub Adaptor. (an old Viewsnoic VA702 monitor)

Both monitors don't show any sign of life when the computer is turned ON - not even POST. I could however, hear some 'searching' noise (as if it is searching for something) from the PC.

Searching noise??!! There should be no noises at all, take the side off and see where it's coming from, fans, hard drive. That's a hardware problem for sure.

And we have dual monitors at work, crap PSUs, shitty old graphics cards, noting I'd go anywhere near and they work without issue.

You have some other problem. Investigate this noise first.

Zippity
11-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Try another graphics card :)

dugimodo
11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
It's possible the 2nd DVI port doesn't support the adapter, there are many versions of DVI and not all can drive an Analogue monitor.
This being the case perhaps it is being seen as the default monitor on boot up and that is why you can't see anything. Try swapping the two monitors to each others ports maybe that will work.

You can definately use dual monitors on a single 4850, I've done it myself.
The "searching" noise is probaly just the hard drive as windows is booting up invisibly.

Another possibility is to attach the 2nd monitor with windows running and then go into the display properties and see if you can configure it. With DVI I can add and remove my second monitor on the fly but I don't know if it wouild work with the D-sub.

bk T
11-11-2011, 09:40 AM
It's possible the 2nd DVI port doesn't support the adapter, there are many versions of DVI and not all can drive an Analogue monitor.
This being the case perhaps it is being seen as the default monitor on boot up and that is why you can't see anything. Try swapping the two monitors to each others ports maybe that will work.

You can definately use dual monitors on a single 4850, I've done it myself.
The "searching" noise is probaly just the hard drive as windows is booting up invisibly.

Another possibility is to attach the 2nd monitor with windows running and then go into the display properties and see if you can configure it. With DVI I can add and remove my second monitor on the fly but I don't know if it wouild work with the D-sub.

I'm certain that the noise is from the harddrive probably as you said, Windows is loading up invisibly, as when I turned the PC back on Windows says that Windows was not shutting down correctly. Is it safe to plug in the 2nd monitor with Windows already running?

I just tried it on an old P4 computer with 9600 Pro card (one DVI and a D-sub outlet) which works brilliantly.

Will try to swap the two ports later.

dugimodo
11-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes it's safe to plug in with windows running, hard to say if it will work though.

gary67
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Why not connect the second monitor to the VGA that's what I have done main monitor DVI second monitor VGA since my card doesn't have 2 DVI ports

bk T
11-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Why not connect the second monitor to the VGA that's what I have done main monitor DVI second monitor VGA since my card doesn't have 2 DVI ports

This card (Gigabyte HD 4850 (GV-R485ZL-512H) has 2 DVI ports as mentioned above.

CYaBro
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Have you tried the DVI-VGA adapter on the other DVI port on the graphics card?

It doesn't really matter which way round you connect the monitors as you can set which one you want to be the primary monitor in Windows.

bk T
11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Have you tried the DVI-VGA adapter on the other DVI port on the graphics card?

It doesn't really matter which way round you connect the monitors as you can set which one you want to be the primary monitor in Windows.

A little nervous to try again. As I mentioned earlier, my computer failed to start up even after I have removed the 2nd monitor and I had to turn OFF the power from the wall outlet to get it restarted.

What would be the risks if I were to try again? I really don't want to blow out any of my hardware or my OS. LOL

CYaBro
11-11-2011, 05:03 PM
I've never seen a monitor cause damage to a PC / graphics card.
I had a dual monitor setup issue this morning that I needed to do the same thing as the one monitor just wouldn't show a picture.

bk T
11-11-2011, 06:44 PM
In my case, both monitors didn't show anything, at all. And, I repeat, I had to flip the switch at the wall outlet in order to get my computer going.