PDA

View Full Version : NAS read/write user rights

supersi
07-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I have a 500GB external HD hooked up via USB to my router. I have map it as a network drive and use it to store media which I access at different times via my Win 7 PC and laptop, or my HDPLAYON media player.
Managing the hard drive is fickle. I figured out that I can only delete files on the HD from the device that created them. eg;If I used my PC to paste a movie into a folder on the NAS, I can only use the PC to delete the file.
Anyways all of a sudden it doesn't matter what device I use, every time I try to create and name a new folder on the NAS it kindly resets the folder name to 'new folder'.

I have tried to set new permissions from both PC and laptop but when I hit 'apply' (see screenshot) it clears out my changes. Attached file: NAS.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/NAS.jpg) (66 KB)
Any ideas?

wainuitech
08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
looking at the picture to me it looks like your account is not there. The unknown Account could be causing the problems. When you log into its settings is your actual account shown ?
Just a thought -- is the 500GB external HD just that, a external HDD, or is it a proper NAS device ?

A proper NAS you would normally log in Via a IP address or name, enter a user name and password, then be able to create users, with various permissions etc.