PDA

View Full Version : 3G BB Latency

jareemon
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi guys, looking at a 3G stick for mobile gaming, but I need to know if it has the ping times I need.
I notice telecom has 3 different sticks, an entry level, a mid range and a performance model. I don't mind going for the performance model, but would it get lower pings than the other two? What ping times do you get with 3g broadband?

inphinity
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
It's somewhat variable, depending on which cell site you're currently connected to etc. My own phone is with Vodafone and for work we use Telecom. Depending on where I am / how it's feeling my ping times from the laptop to our data centre (Auckland CBD) can vary from ~80ms to ~300ms for both the XT stick and my phone as a modem. Usually toward the upper end of that spectrum. I would say average ping is 200ish. It doesn't seem to necessarily vary with signal/bandwidth either. We use the MF181 which is the cheaper of the Telecom 3G sticks.

Chilling_Silence
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Nup not unless you're playing an MMORPG. For the better part, even nationally, latency is 150ms+, but I found it sat more around 250-300ms..

No, better data stick isn't likely to improve the performance, much, at all ...