PDA

View Full Version : Need a better / faster way to transfer newsletters into webpage HTML code

straka01
07-11-2011, 07:09 AM
I receive several newsletters each week that I put onto people's websites.

They send them to me either as Publisher, PDF or Word Docs.
I copy the text & paste it into the source code of the web page to re-create the newsletters on their websites.
This takes too long.
There must be a faster way.

I have tried the old publisher PRINT TO A WEB PAGE command in the past but the code is bulky, full of unneccessary clutter & somewhat large.

Can anyone advise me if there are better methods or new programs that can quickly convert these docs into web page HTML code?
Generally the newsletters contain individual messages in boxes with an occasional photo or gif.

I use XP Pro & prefer to make web pages suitable for Internet Explorer browsers as they're the most common.

Any ideas or assistance would be very helpful.

pcuser42
07-11-2011, 07:38 AM
prefer to make web pages suitable for Internet Explorer browsers as they're the most common.

They might be, but IE is far from standards compliant so best to write for everything :)

coldot
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I put PDF file directly onto web site. Almost all users have a PDF viewer and the PUB and DOC can be printed or copied to PDF format via MS Office.

Greven
07-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Any automated solution is going to be horrible. The best thing to do is put up a PDF for download.

straka01
07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I thought that there may be new technology that enabled conversion...
There must be a lot of people who have the same issue as me.
It's surprising that we rely on PDF technology rather than being able to convert to Source Code (std web pages).
Thanks for your help.

johnd
07-11-2011, 08:32 PM
........prefer to make web pages suitable for Internet Explorer browsers as they're the most common.

The latest news says that IE now only accounts for about 50% of browser use (see here (http://mashable.com/2010/10/05/ie-50-percent-market-share/)). As mentioned by pcuser42, MS does not seem to be greatly concerned with what the rest of the world have agreed to as standards. The result of this can be that a page designed for IE can produce quite a mess on 50% of the users screens.

straka01
07-11-2011, 08:50 PM
This is going off on a red herring.
Whatever browser I mentioned is irrellevent.
The main purpose of the question was to see if I can locate a better method of transferring text type files (pub, doc or pdf) to HTML source code.

kahawai chaser
08-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Google docs might be able to do it - including in batch mode for html and pdf if required. Tutorial here. (http://www.labnol.org/internet/batch-pdf-converter/10796/)

Can also test view and generate a link of a document's url with Google Docs Viewer. (http://docs.google.com/viewer)

mikebartnz
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I use XP Pro & prefer to make web pages suitable for Internet Explorer browsers as they're the most common.
These days you should make Web pages standards compliant and then they will work for the majority of web browsers.
If all the news letters came in one format it would be relatively easy to convert them but as they come in different formats its not so easy.

coldot
14-11-2011, 02:59 PM
“This is going off on a red herring.” The 'red herring' is actually comment and discussion.
This is after all a discussion forum. You did issue an invitation:
“Any ideas or assistance would be very helpful.”

“There must be a lot of people who have the same issue as me.” Indeed, I think you have had that confirmed by the responses. Several people have encountered the problem and have determined (no doubt after investigating alternatives) that the best course for them is to use PDF files.
One prime purpose of PDF is to retain the layout, fonts and style of the original author’s work. Any process that converts the PDF into HTML code runs a high risk of disappointing the original author or of being so time-consuming and complex that it introduces delays in publication, especially if you have several documents each month.