PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to TV connection

Aspi
06-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Hello friends,
I have currently bought a new Dell XPS laptop.Being a 'latest hi tech' one, the laptop does not have the conventional VGA or S type ports to connect to a monitor or to a TV. The laptop only has a HDMI output port. My current TV is an old CRT (not High definination) with only the old RGB (red/yello/white) ports and an S-type round pin. To start with I asked Dell if they have any type of a connector which will allow me to connect my Laptop to my TV and they replied that there is no such type of connectors avaliable. I then purchased an HDMI to RGB/VGA cable from Trade Me to try and connect my Laptop but when I connect it there is no picture / audio. The TV screen remains as plain Blue. I guess this is because the Laptop id High Definition and the TV does not support this.
Can someone please let me know if my above assumption is correct and if so is there any way I can connect my Laptop to my TV.
Thank you all.
Aspi.

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Buy an up to date TV with HDMI on it

feersumendjinn
06-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I then purchased an HDMI to RGB/VGA cable from Trade Me to try and connect my Laptop but when I connect it there is no picture / audio. The TV screen remains as plain Blue. I guess this is because the Laptop id High Definition and the TV does not support this.
It's because the HDMI signal is digital data and RGB/VGA is analogue, never the twain shall meet :)....
You were ripped off.

the old RGB (red/yellow/white) ports RGB stands for Red/Green/Blue (Component video), red/white and yellow is Right stereo channel/Left stereo channel and yellow is composite video (the worst picture).

feersumendjinn
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
To prove my point,
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-svideo.html

But there are adapters (pricey though, and may not be available in NZ, they do seem to be PAL (NZ)/NTSC (USA) switchable though (the first 3 anyway)).
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdtosvad.html

Disco_Dan
07-11-2011, 01:30 PM
You can buy the adapter from Jaycar electronics (www.jaycar.co.nz) - I was in same boat as you and looking for a solution. However it's pricey AND you don't get HD picture as it converts it to analouge.

Best bet is to upgrade you television. You can get a huge 30-40 inch or so for $600-$700 if you shop around (JBHIFI have good deals on their Soniq brand).

Now I simply plug in the HDMI cable to my laptop then go sit on the couch with wireless keyboard and mouse and can do everything!

Aspi
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Disco_Dan,
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to confirm did you buy one from Jaycar electronics...?? and if so are you interested in selling it...?? let me know your price.
Regards.
Aspi.

You can buy the adapter from Jaycar electronics (www.jaycar.co.nz) - I was in same boat as you and looking for a solution. However it's pricey AND you don't get HD picture as it converts it to analouge.

Best bet is to upgrade you television. You can get a huge 30-40 inch or so for $600-$700 if you shop around (JBHIFI have good deals on their Soniq brand).

Now I simply plug in the HDMI cable to my laptop then go sit on the couch with wireless keyboard and mouse and can do everything!

feersumendjinn
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AC1623&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1013#4.

Disco_Dan
09-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Disco_Dan,
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to confirm did you buy one from Jaycar electronics...?? and if so are you interested in selling it...?? let me know your price.
Regards.
Aspi.

Did not buy it - mostly because of price and the fact I had a really old TV anyway. So I just got a new TV that has HDMI ports.