PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Media Player

jareemon
03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking of getting a hardware media player to plug into my TV, but I've never used one before and I don't see a lot of them around.
What are some good ones?
Looking for an HDMI one that will do 1080p videos including mkv format and m2ts format would be a bonus.
Something with a remote and a decent looking onscreen user interface would be nice, too.
Preferably 1TB storage.
Budget roughly $300
TIA

decibel
03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
How old is your TV?
My year-old Samsung TV has a media player built-in and I can stream video direct from any DLNA device. (such as a Win7 machine or in my case, an XP machine running Serviio)

jareemon
03-11-2011, 06:58 PM
My TV does have DLNA, but I don't need to use it. I mainly only use my phone's DLNA feature for the tv.
I just want one with an HDMI connection

The Error Guy
03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Build your own is generally better. Most that you but are far too high end in some respects and offer features that only enthusiasts want. Best thing to buy would be an HTPC case

gary67
03-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Something like the Western Digital one, I'm sure Chilling had one for a while, I was going to get a HTPC case until I saw the price of them instead I'm using an M-ATX one instead 1/4 the price

Chilling_Silence
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Don't build your own, it's too much of a PITA every time your AntiVirus kicks in, windows updates etc.

Get the WDTV Live

I've tried that and the AC!Ryan PlayOn, as well as a few others ... WDTV Live is by far my favorite!

04-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Don't build your own....

+1
.. unless you have alot of time to waste configuring the thing. And Can be noisey & ugly unless you spend $$$$$$$
I did build one, The case & power supply alone was $350.
Still battling with Codec Hell , add on TV Tuner is really flaky .
But a PC based Media Centre will do stuff that a Simple player such as WDLive, AC Ryan etc cant . Most dont need those extra features.

Something like WD Live etc should pretty just work straight out of the box.

Lawrence
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Have a Apacer AL460 ,very happy with it

The next model up is the AL670 with a few more features and bigger Remote

Chilling_Silence
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah if you wanna record TV, you're better off getting TiVo / MySky.
For media playback, really can't beat the WDTV Live :D