PDA

View Full Version : System partition not where windows is?

springa886
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I'm running Win 7 an my C: drive is almost full so I thought id merge my D: drive with it. Now windows is installed on C: but it says D: is System, Active, Primary Partition. Am I not able to format D: drive? If so, why not? Windows is installed on C: and I have already copied everything from my D: drive to one of my other drives so it's (almost) empty (I say almost because it looks to be empty but in 'Computer' it says 158GB free of 160).
Can anyone shed some light on what I can do to merge C: & D:?

nerd89
02-11-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/240119/how_to_download_and_install_windows_8_on_a_new_par tition.html
Check out the instructions for the above, then use it to empty and delete D: , then expand C: into what will now be 158GB of available space.

springa886
03-11-2011, 09:11 PM
The above instructions are for installing Windows 8.... I'm currently happy with Windows 7. All I want to do is merge C: and D: drives. I have included a screenshot of my disk management screen ( its a mess I know!!!) and the option to format or delete the volume is greyed out. Whats up??

http://s7.postimage.org/qyzrod8l7/Disk_Config.jpg

nerd89
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
From disc management (your screenshot) you should be able to click on C: and expand it to fill the available space. I know the original instructions were for W8, but it was the easiest way to explain how to get into disc management. Cheers.

nerd89
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM
From disc management (your screenshot) you should be able to click on C: and expand it to fill the available space. I know the original instructions were for W8, but it was the easiest way to explain how to get into disc management.
. Just had a good look at your screenshot.

From disc management right click D: and shrink, then right click C: and extend.

springa886
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
That's a good idea! Only downer from that is that i'd have a smaller D: drive and what I want is to get rid of that D: drive all together. Is there anything I can do other than moving all the data from F: drive (the other partition on that drive) somewhere else and re-formatting the whole drive?

nerd89
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I shrunk a partition completely (last week) and it removed it completely from computer. I then extended C: into the empty space. Everything worked perfectly after I was finished. Big sigh of relief and no sign of the partition I had before.

springa886
04-11-2011, 07:24 AM
When I try to shrink it, it says Total size before shrink: 164760MB, Size of available shrink space:87715MB. For some reason it wont let me shrink the whole thing!! How annoying!!! Maybe I will just move on to Windows 8!!!!!

Bryan
04-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Windows 8 has not been released to the public as a going concern yet, you will have to wait until next year sometime so don't do anything rash.

wainuitech
04-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Often Windows wont allow you to alter partitions fully. While its basic usage is OK, there are far better third party dedicated partition managers.

Maybe I will just move on to Windows 8!!!!! Windows 8 is still in the developer stage, any download you get will be time limited. Beta is not even out yet - so any install you currently put in will expire and you usually wont be able to upgrade to a full version.

Windows 8 the RTM (finished version) is a little way off yet.

SP8's
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM
+1 for using third party software ... Paragon Partition Manager or similar

mzee
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Windows 7 is installed on "D" which is seen by you as "C" because the first partition of about 100mb is hidden. This first partition contains the start/loader files and should not be altered. You could expand "D" into "E". Far better to leave it as is. First place your Swap-file on another partition, this will give you some room. If you need to install any more software place it on another partition. Divert your "My Documents" to another partition. Run Crap Cleaner and get rid of the rubbish.

springa886
05-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey guys and gals,

Just FYI... I ended up reinstalling windows and wiping the whole drive cos I was tired of screwing around and now I have it the way I want... only took about 4 hours!!!!

Thanks for the help anyway peeps,
Party like a rockstar!!