PDA

View Full Version : wifi connectivity issue

starrekin61
02-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi all. I'm working on a lenovo 3000 n100 laptopt with an onboard wireless device, a linksys wireless n access point. I have the system dual booting Linux and win xp (service pack 3).

linux has no problem finding and connecting through the wireless connection. it found it automatically and allowed me to choose the wireless network i wanted to go to (several were listed).

XP will not find the connection automatically and I have to plug it in directly to the access point.

how do i get the wifi to work in windows?

thanks for the help with this.

lakewoodlady
03-11-2011, 09:35 AM
What security code do you have on the Linksys? Wpa, Wpa2, Wep? I had Win xp on my lappie dual booted with Mac OS 10.5. The mac had no trouble with WPA but Win XP would only work with Wep. Which I wasn't happy with.

Don't know if any of that is relevant to your situation, but who knows.

LL

Agent_24
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I would look for updated WiFi drivers for your Windows XP.

Clearly the hardware is compatible with the router if it can work in Linux.

Peter H
03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
My XP pro has no problems with WPA or WEP. Certainly didn't need new drivers.

03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Do you have exactly the same machine as starrekin61, with exactly the same wifi hardware & same driver version...???
:lol: :lol:

do get new drivers if the wifi doesnt work. also uninstall the software/lenovo wifi manager/wizard & use ONLY the WIN Xp wifi connection manager (WZC)

Agent_24
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Well, my personal experience with out of date WiFi drivers has been all sorts of weirdness, clearly your drivers were OK. Mine weren't, and it's entirely possible that the ones starrekin61 has aren't either.