PDA

View Full Version : Three Document Folders after Reinstall of XP?

Winston001
02-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm sure this is something most of you could solve in your sleep but I'm a bit nervous after my virus experience.

It appears that all my data was saved in the reinstall (I had a backup just in case). Good. However My Documents, My Pictures etc only contain the basic Windows stuff, noting else. After searching I found other folders.

The upshot is under Documents and Settings, there are now 5 folders: Owner (new from the install and emptyish), Administrator (which appears to contain all my docs, PDFS, photos etc), All Users (which I think was there before and may contain all the Admin docs too), Guest (empty and can be deleted), and Temp.

In truth I do not remember where I previously stored docs etc - Admin or All Users. However docs etc were always available through the Start popup and always there so the path never mattered.

How do I put everything back into one My Documents folder?

EDIT: just discovered All Users appears to only hold an 18GB FBackup in a zip so was probably used by the tech guys. Should I delete this now? Should a zipped file be so big?

mzee
02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Please let us have the following details:-

1] How many partitions have you on your hard drive?
2] Was 'My Documents' diverted to another folder? on another partition?
3] Did you make a backup of 'My Documents' just before you re-installed? If your Backup was made at the time of the original installation none of your subsequent data will be saved.
I always divert 'My Documents' to another partition so that in the event of Windows needing re-installing the Data is safe. Easier to back up as well.

dirtyface
09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Winston,

This is a bit random but you once posted about a Philips Green Universal remote control with a bottle opener at the end. See -

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?53191-Fox-600e-universal-remote-control&

I've got one you see but no instructions, serial number (can't see on on the unit) or codes (or even how you put the code in). Don't suppose you have any idea how to get it working?

I'm new to the forum so can't PM you. Sorry for the random post!

Thanks in advance

pctek
09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
I
The upshot is under Documents and Settings, there are now 5 folders: Owner (new from the install and emptyish), Administrator (which appears to contain all my docs, PDFS, photos etc), All Users (which I think was there before and may contain all the Admin docs too), Guest (empty and can be deleted), and Temp.

How do I put everything back into one My Documents folder?

Cut and Paste the contents to the current MyDocuments.

Winston001
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Winston,

This is a bit random but you once posted about a Philips Green Universal remote control with a bottle opener at the end. See -

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?53191-Fox-600e-universal-remote-control&

I've got one you see but no instructions, serial number (can't see on on the unit) or codes (or even how you put the code in). Don't suppose you have any idea how to get it working?

Thanks in advance

By golly, yes I have, just found it again recently. Very solid and sensible. I'm obsessive compulsive enough to have the book of codes somewhere, will look in some boxes and get back to you. :D

Winston001
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Cut and Paste the contents to the current MyDocuments.

Thanks. That is what I've done.

pctek
10-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Don't leave it so long next time, better to clean out more often. I'd get it all sorted and make an image too.

Winston001
12-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi Winston,

Thanks in advance

Hi DF, I've found the manual online - here is a Google docs view but there is a PDF from the same site which is very clear.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Dt5TyoBbaesJ:www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sbcru098_05/sbcru098_05_dfu_ita.pdf+remote+philips+sbc+ru+098&hl=en&gl=nz&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShJVZt2IT_NSpH7SoEHwITj0hBxik62U6sSCaZB 7tbB-IUqIvA7yIVbLd-X-X03k2CS3wDk0llDS8r2Z9as7r7UWDcPVSLa0X7qsz-nIsTtOgXxyZd1lx49N6rvgdVuJFcwr3U-&sig=AHIEtbSO8ZnJy_19UC60s14hyBn6_cpBNw