PDA

View Full Version : Freeview Recording AGAIN.

Bovvaboy
01-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Sorry I know this topic has been discussed but I still need help. Have a new Panasonic TV with FV built in. Works great but obviously I cant record onto my old Panasonic hard disc recorder. I was thinking that for emergencies I could record onto it by splitting my coaxial cable that goes to the TV and have one go to the old hard disk recorder and use its built in tuner to record analogue tv shows(knowing picture quality would be poor) However I cannot tune my hard disk recorder to pick up analogue tv from our UHF aerial even though my new tv picks up the signal and can show analogue tv so I know the signal is there. I can also watch old recordings from the hard disk of my old recorder on the tv but when I try to tune the tv stations it says NO SIGNAL. Is the freeview signal maybe blocking the anologue signal to my recorder or is there a possible fault with my rf input connector on my disk player? BTW my recorder is connected to the tv with hdmi.

I am so sick of this.:help:

Thanks
Steve.

dugimodo
01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
In most areas the analogue signal is VHF except for prime so you probably won't receive it off a UHF aerial. Does the TV definately work with Analogue and not just freeview?
Bear in mind when you split the coax you are dropping the signal strength by at least half, which if it's marginal could drop it below acceptable levels. Other than that there is no reason at all you can't split it, freeview certainly in no way "blocks" analogue.

It's a temporary solution though, not that long until they turn it off is it?
Sorry to say but ultimately you may have to go to a my freeview or TiVo box to achieve what you want. I have a TiVo, it's big and clunky looking and it has no guide for prime, but it works really well and only cost me something like $360 from Telecom. They really dropped the ball on marketing it.

psycik
01-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Pretty much as dugimodo said.

Your options:

Panasonic Freeview/BD recorder - approx $700
Tivo - either $799 or $360 if on telecom
MySky HDI
Some of the standalone freeview HD (or satellite decoders) have recording capabilities - but make sure you get a certified one (means it handles our special EPG) - the magicTV FreeviewHD ones are supposed to be quite good.
Build a PC to do it - not an out of the box solution - needs some tinkering, and only cheap if you have the hardware.

chiefnz
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Does your TV have a "monitor out" or similar connection (usual standard yellow/red/white RCA).

If it does and your DVD recorder has similar RCA inputs then you should be able to record it that one.

The only draw back I can see is that you won't be able to change the channel as you are recording it onto the DVD recorder.

Cheers.

Renegade
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
^^ yeah, that works. I tried it a while back. Real pain though, but works if you're desperate. TV also needs to be on as well.

Greven
01-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Bond & bond have a cheap freeview recorder, but you have to plug in a USB HDD to record to. http://www.bondandbond.co.nz/shop/tv-home-theatre/freeview/dishtv-t1020-high-definition-freeview-hd-receiver/prod108009.html
For some reason Bond & Bond no longer mention its recording capabilities, but it is listed as a PVR on the manufacturer's website. http://www.dishtv.co.nz/vmchk/Freeview|HD-aerialBox/1-aerialBox-T1020-Freeview|HD-single-tuner-USB-PVR/flypage_web2_lite.tpl.htm

Or if your PC is by the aerial connection, get a USB DVB-T tuner.

Trev
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Or buy a Freeview HD tuner and connect your recorder to that. Thats how I record Freeview as my 40" Sony LCD TV came out before they had the inbuilt Freeview tuners.
:)

Greven
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Ascent has a really cheap freeview PVR that requires an external USB HDD. http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=396346

psycik
02-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Remember some of the cheap freeview decoders may not have the capability to decode the epg. But if you're used to and happy with time based recording only then this won't be an issue.

The greatest advantage with "proper" pvrs is they read and use the epg for setting recordings. Allowing things like recording a whole series, dealin with programmes changing length (if stated in the guide, not on a live programme) and obviously knowing what to call the recording.

Snorkbox
02-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Ascent has a really cheap freeview PVR that requires an external USB HDD. http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=396346

Thanks for that. Looks like it will work for me.

I do actually have a freeview TV with a USB input. Perhaps I can just buy a Hard drive. :-)

Greven
02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for that. Looks like it will work for me.

I do actually have a freeview TV with a USB input. Perhaps I can just buy a Hard drive. :-)

The USB inputs on TVs are usually only for playback, not recording.

Snorkbox
02-11-2011, 09:51 PM
The USB inputs on TVs are usually only for playback, not recording.

Thanks for that.

psycik
03-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Also it would have resulted in the tv having to be on and on channel for recording.