PDA

View Full Version : Best AGP Graphics Card?

skeptile2
31-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Anyone know what is the best AGP graphics card for gaming? obviously its not gonna be that good, but my current one is rubbish. dont think i expect a crysis level one, but better than halo on low graphics would be nice (halo 1)

Trev
31-10-2011, 10:17 PM
If a brand new one, you will be lucky. Check out Trademe.
:)

Nomad
31-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Ascent.co.nz have some at $200 -400. You may want to look at Toms Hardware for some reviews and testing data.

dugimodo
01-11-2011, 10:01 AM
6600GT was available both on AGP and PCIe IIRC might be about as good as you can do for nVidia if you can find one. I see FX5xxx series cards available but I seem to recall that being a bad choice for gaming.
When my Geforce 4 Ti4200 died years ago I replaced it with an FX5200 on advice from a local tech. It was a definate downgrade and all around bad experience.

I don't know much about older ATI models so I can't comment there.

Refer to the chart on this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html The higher up the chart the better the performance, can take a bit of work to compare prices but it's the best way.

01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
What do you have at the mo : usefull info :devil
Still available
Sapphire Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP
Sapphire HD3650 512MB GDDR2 AGP

Expect to have issues trying to install them, last new AGP card I installed had NO official updated drivers , required PCI-e drivers to be hacked.

pctek
01-11-2011, 12:05 PM
None. Upgrade the rest of the PC and get a PCI-e card.

dugimodo
01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
None. Upgrade the rest of the PC and get a PCI-e card.
:) I was expecting someone to say that sooner.

Can get a low end MB / CPU / RAM combo starting at about $250-300 (pentium G620, H61MB, 4G cheap RAM for eg) something to bear in mind when considering options.

Agent_24
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Anyone know what is the best AGP graphics card for gaming? obviously its not gonna be that good, but my current one is rubbish. dont think i expect a crysis level one, but better than halo on low graphics would be nice (halo 1)

Since you can run Halo 1 on about a Geforce 2 or higher, pretty much any AGP card you get would be good.

Problem is the older 2nd hand cards have probably been given a good thrashing, so make sure you get a good branded one, nothing cheap (unless you know how to do capacitor replacement therapy)

skeptile2
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
ok, i currently have a radeon 9600 pro, which is cool but pretty bad. can run oblivion on minimum, but it's still laggy. unfortunatly i am not allowed to upgrade my computer (parents say no) but i have been upgrading recently, which is why i want a new gpu. so far i have 1 gig of ram, an athlon 64 3200+ cpu at 1.8 ghz. i realise that it is pretty bad, but as i cant fully upgrade... basically i can upgrade anything except the mobo. which restricts me rather a lot. just got a new psu, ram, and cpu, but there's not much else to upgrade, other than the gpu so...

Agent_24
02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
You say you have an Athlon 3200+ but your signature says Sempron 2800+

Which is it?

The Athlon will have better performance for gaming then the Sempron, but otherwise there isn't much you can do. Upgrading the GPU higher than what you already have is going to be expensive and won't make much of a difference, if you have a Sempron. Not sure even if the Athlon will be that great, even with a new GPU.

A 6600GT would probably be good, but you might still be limited by the CPU. You may also want 2GB or more of RAM as well.

Why can't you upgrade the board, if you can upgrade everything else?

skeptile2
02-11-2011, 09:37 PM
need to upgrade that signature, its about a week old. also, becausethat means buying loads of other stuff (ram, a new cpu, gpu, etc.) my mobo only has 2 ram sockets as one of them has broken, so max is about a gig unless i spend loads on 1 gig sticks.

Greven
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
You could pick up an AM3 board & CPU pretty cheap & the onboard Radeon hd 3000 graphics would be better than a 9600. Is your hard drive SATA or IDE?

You would probably need:
* Motherboard
* CPU
* RAM
* SATA optical drive
* SATA hard drive
* Power supply (might be able to make do with your current one if it was a really good one)

Looking over that list, you need a whole new computer. Your current computer isn't going to last much longer anyway, so I wouldn't bother spending $200 to upgrade to an obsolete graphics card.

Agent_24
02-11-2011, 11:54 PM
, becausethat means buying loads of other stuff (ram, a new cpu, gpu, etc.) my mobo only has 2 ram sockets as one of them has broken, so max is about a gig unless i spend loads on 1 gig sticks.

Yet you already say you just bought new PSU, CPU and RAM - and you want to pay for a new graphics card anyway?

Would have made more sense to do a big upgrade instead of the stuff you just bought!

I would sell what you have now, then do what Greven suggested and go with a cheap AM3 setup.

You shouldn't need to get SATA DVD or HDD as a new board should have at least one IDE port. If not, you can get an IDE card for pretty damn cheap (cheaper than new HDD\DVD anyway)

Use the integrated GPU and upgrade to a better card later if you have to. But it will really be much more sense, because you will just be wasting money trying to get your current machine up to scratch (and it probably won't get there anyway if you don't have any working slots for extra RAM)

goodiesguy
03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
ok, i currently have a radeon 9600 pro

And it can't run Halo 1 properly? are you sure it's not faulty? I used to use an old 128mb Radeon 9600 and that played Halo 1 fine all on max settings.

pctek
03-11-2011, 12:02 PM
So how about used? GPForums, lots of older (but not ancient) gaming parts and PCs there, although can be a matter of waiting for something suitable to be lsited.
I've done it for various relatives on low budgets.

skeptile2
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
ok, so it can run halo 1 on medium to high settings. I cant upgrade totally because dad wont let me, put simply. so i can upgrade everything except the mobo. (dad thinks i spend too much time on the computer already. he's a computer engineer so i cant fool him either) so if i upgrade, i will be able to install decent (better) games and i would play on them more. so he doesn't like that idea. so basically, i want the best computer i can get with my current board

skeptile2
03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
if you see my other started threads, you will see me getting parts. and i was gonna build a new pc, but that got collapsed by my dad.

Agent_24
03-11-2011, 03:51 PM
If you want the best computer you can get on that board, then a CPU upgrade might be a good idea.

A dual-core (Athlon 64 X2) model would help I expect (assuming your board is Socket 939, you haven't actually said, Gigabyte GA-K8 isn't the full model number I think)
Again, 2GB+ of RAM would also be good (but expensive)
Any graphics card faster than your current one will also be pretty expensive.

Really, you are stuck - if you do max out your current board, you will spend a LOT of money. If you want to get something faster for a decent price, you'd need a new board (which you say you can't get)

Maybe it's a better idea to just play some older games? There are many great games which would run well on your current hardware.

Nomad
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I used to home stay with someone that was a computer tech as well.
I think at the time, the high end was Pentium II. 1999. So he just took spare parts from work and put together a computer for me - a AMD 133Mhz might have been with 4MB RAM before going to 8MB running on Win95.
In his words was that, Win98 was just not worth it. But it ran Windows and Office and could get onto the net with a dialup modem. Could play a bit of Quake I think. :p

skeptile2
03-11-2011, 04:03 PM
its a socket 754, which is why i got the 3200, because it's one of the best cpus i can get for this board. i think that may be the best bet. really, i just wanted to find out if there were better options out there, but i guess unless i spend a lot, there aren't. so thanks guys for your help! :)

Agent_24
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
You might get some improvement with a 6600GT or higher, but I think you'd start getting limited by the 1GB of RAM, and probably CPU as well.
For the price you'd have to end up paying, the increase in performance is probably not worth it.

skeptile2
03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
ok, i gues i'll just leave it as it is then, unless i see a cheap price for one of the higher range ones. thanks!