PDA

View Full Version : Need direction: Installing 2nd Wireless N access point

Damz
31-10-2011, 06:36 PM
At the moment, I have a D-link modem, going into a Cisco E1000 wireless-N router.

When streaming video to the PS3, its rubbish, apparently due to the wireless-G receiver in the PS3. So bought a 2nd "N" router (Cisco WRT120N) off trademe to use as an access point and connect to the PS3 via ethernet.

So Iv plugged the new router in, now what? :stare:

Fairly new to all of this!

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Buy an all in one modem / wireless router. Instead of using a separate modem and router. It'll make things a lot easier

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2011, 07:23 PM
No!

That's not specifically correct!

Are you wanting to use the router as a "connection" to the PS3, and have it go from router <-> router wirelessly? If that's the case, I don't believe the WRT120N will be much use. You want something that will run the likes of DD-WRT in Repeater-Bridge mode.

Damz
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Darn. So I need a different router?

I want to use the increased bandwidth (N) this router is capable of to stream media through to the ps3 from my PC. PS3 is to be connected to the WRT via ethernet.

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Whats wrong with the 100m/bit that you get from the Cisco E1000?

Damz
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Nothing at all, I only recently bought that. But then realised my next downfall was the wireless-g receiver in the PS3. So the WRT was bought purely to act as an external receiver for the PS3, connected via ethernet. lol :)

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Ah OK right so it does sound like you want to bridge it.

Access Points are that, they're access points. They can't be used like a "connection device" for the better part (Usually, unless you have some fancy 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT).

I'll make a few suggestions, in the order that you should really try them:
1) Use the physical cable the whole way, no need for an additional device
2) Relocate your current router or playstation so they're closer. 54mbps is *ample* for streaming even high-definition 1080p video. Heck even 1/3 that is more than enough! If you've got issues, look into the signal strength, speed and interference
3) Buy a bigger antenna for your primary router
4) Finally, lastly, get yourself something like the WRT54GL and use that in repeater-bridge mode. It'll halve your effective speed though, as WiFi is only half-duplex, so it's still probably not going to improve things much. You may be best to take the repeater-bridge and stick it half-way between your router and your Playstation, so that it has the best possible signal / speed to both devices.

Greven
02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Might be worth looking at powerline adaptors instead of trying to create a wireless bridge. http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=393899