PDA

View Full Version : Weird Steam connection issue

Fifthdawn
31-10-2011, 02:06 PM
I was recently invited to join the Steam DOTA2 Beta program, So I downloaded the client and installed the game. logging into steam and started the DOTA2 client worked flawlessly - however attempting to watch a currently running game, Joining a practice server or playing a 'real' game would all time out. Other steam games work fine on the network too, so this seems to be an isolated case.

The error message that I would receive when trying to join a game was:

212.655: Sending UDP connect to public IP 146.66.153.23:28028
Server connection did not have the correct challenge, ignoring.
Retrying public(146.66.153.23:28028) ...

I tried everything that I could think of:
Disable windows firewall and MSSE real time protection
port forwarded ports 27090 - 28080 (Seemed that the different servers all use a random port between that range)
Tried from different computers on the network
Configured my Draytec vigor router to stop acting as a PPPoA pass though and connected directly to that.
Trace route to the server resolved as far as the steam support group said it would.

In a last desperate act I swapped the Draytec router out for an old Linksys one which was lying around ... and it worked.

If anyone with networking experience/knowledge has heard/knows about an obscure setting that would cause this sort of thing to happen I would love to hear it. The Draytec with PPPoA pass though has been rock solid ever since I got it I and would like to resume using it if possible.

Speedy Gonzales
31-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I would look in the steam forums

Agent_24
31-10-2011, 05:01 PM
If a different router fixed it I would look at port forwarding \ router firewall issues etc

icow
31-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Put the computer into dmz temporarily to see if it is a port forwarding issue.

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Lucky bugger! I'm hanging for Dota2!

Anyways, it sounds like whatever device you had *behind* the Draytek is what's buggering it up, in one form or another...

Fifthdawn
01-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Chill,

I set the Drayec router act as a normal ADSL modem router and plugged it directly into my machine and the game would not connect. I then plugged the Linksys in (with as far as i can tell the same settings) and the game worked fine. I must say that I was quite surprised by this. The only setting that I could not find in the Draytec web interface was the MTU size field, but as far as I can tell this would not make much of a difference so long as it was not set to something silly?

I'm not sure how much you have seen but screen shots do not do the game justice - the game play is so smooth , even on my laptop the unoptimised beta version is "playable".

Chilling_Silence
01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Post your ADSL Line stats from the Draytek?
Also, you could try factory resetting the Draytek?

Fifthdawn
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Just a quick update incase anyone else stumbles onto this thread via google or whatnot, I fixed the issue by updating the router firmware.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2011, 02:11 PM
For the Draytek? Which firmware did you end up using?

Fifthdawn
02-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I used an updated version of the vendor firmware, version 3.2.4.4 (it was running 3.2.1.1 if I remember correctly). Are there 3rd party firmwares for the the Draytek Vigor routers?