PDA

View Full Version : is my motherboard broken heeelp

Fishy
31-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I took my storage HDD out of my PC about 6 months ago and haven't touched it since, hasn't been turned on at all. I just chucked it back in and turned on my PC and no signal is going to my monitor (the screen is just black and the power light is flashing). Thought it could be my graphics card or something but I just realised the lights aren't coming up on my mouse or keyboard but CPU and GFX fans are spinning.

What i'm wondering is does it sound like for sure the motherboard is broken and should I just go get a new one or could it be something else?

Cheers

Nomad
31-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Just a thought - open the computer case and turn it on ... can you hear the HDD spin up?

You don't have another video card? Is this built into the motherboard or a separate video card?

Edit. If you have another computer or a laptop plug a network cable into the motherboard's LAN port and see if you see the two blinking lights .....

Fishy
31-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Unsure if I can hear the HDD spin up or not I don't really know what to listen for. I don't think I can, I can feel it spin up if I put my hand on it when I turn the PC on though.

No sadly I don't have another video card and the motherboard doesn't have a built in :(

I plugged an ethernet cable connected to an active router into the port and the two lights did not blink. I also noticed the light that usually is on the back of my sound card surrounding the microphone plug hole isn't lit up either.

Driftwood
31-10-2011, 04:03 PM
If the system hasn't been going for some time, maybe clean out the dust & reseat the cards.

Agent_24
31-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Could be the BIOS battery is low\flat.

Some motherboards exhibit very strange behavior if they have a flat\low battery.

pctek
01-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Could be PSU, could be RAM, could be GPU, don't just assume it's MB.

bevy121
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM
storage HDD....
so the comp has it's own primary hdd with C: and the OS on it?
Take the storage HDD out till it's going for starters...

Does the comp post at all when you power on?
any beeps etc?

Fishy
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
yeah I have a 500gb HDD which is C: with the OS and any programs/games installed on there and a 2TB HDD with all my stuff like movies etc on it
I took the storage HDD back out as soon as the PC didn't work and it didn't make a difference.

nah no beeps at all :(

Nomad
01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
The PSU fan goes on right and the computer case has lights?

If you are not after anything particular, you could try to get the parts from a shop with a 100% no questions refund policy so you can troubleshoot.

wainuitech
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
If you are not after anything particular, you could try to get the parts from a shop with a 100% no questions refund policy so you can troubleshoot. Good luck on finding a business that will allow a person to use them as a scape goat for trouble shooting a problem, by buying parts willy nilly and returning because the part purchased is not the failed component :groan:

Fishy
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
nah I would feel like a dick doing that i would rather pay however much it is to figure out what's wrong with it

yeah the psu fan turns on. the case doesn't have lights no it's some piece of crap old as hell case but the ethernet cable lights don't flash nor do the lights that come up on things plugged into the motherboard eg sound card come up

i guess I should just fork out the $80ish and take it into a pc store for them to figure it out? :( :(

wainuitech
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Any place that knows what they are doing should be able to figure it out rather quickly, as they will have spares to change out for testing purposes.

From what you described so far, I would say its either the PSU, or Motherboard.

The only problem may be, if it is a board failure getting a replacement. Depending on the type of socket (CPU) will depend on if a new board is available. Some are now obsolete, while others are in very limited supply as to whats available.

Nomad
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
DSE can do that for eg .. but their stuff might cost a bit more.
A motherboard may entail ... new ram and new cpu ... difficult to match your previous one.
Could just try a new PSU and or video card but talk to them before. I've done that and were happy with it. You end up buying one item from them. But as I said you would be paying more at DSE.

If you have to replace the motherboard for eg .. you might be better spending $250 for a low end but new motherboard, cpu and some ram (delivered) with inbuilt video card. If that suits your needs.

wainuitech
03-11-2011, 04:46 PM
One more thing to check on before spending any $$$$$ check ALL the USB ports, make sure none have the alignment tab broken and the pin(s) are shorting on the inside the port.

Got a customers PC here at the moment, a well know Computer repair company here in WGTN was called last week (who shell remain nameless),one of their techs advised the board was blown since it wouldn't start, whole computer completely dead. I happened to be at another customers place today and they asked If I could give a second opinion, took it back to the workshop and it did look dead at first, and after stripping it down, worked on the bench OK -- Low and behold front USB ports knacked. Nothing wrong with the board.

Agent_24
03-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Seems unlikely to happen by itself just sitting there though.

Did you check the battery?