PDA

View Full Version : Linux distributions

18-10-2001, 12:55 PM
I am contemplating installing Linux, using a dual boot set up with Win 2000 (which I am using at present). Any recommendations as to what distribution to use? Do the 3 CD sets include GCC (the C++ compiler)?
Current system is an Athlon 1400 mHz with 384 MB ram and a 40 GB HD. I suspect my Win modem may not be compatible, any suggestions here would be appreciated also. Thanks.

18-10-2001, 01:20 PM
gcc comes with all distro's as it is required to recompile the kernel. Suse is a very good distro as the books are always very good. Redhat is the best known but costs the most, I personally like mandrake for a workstation and the partioning tool is very good.

18-10-2001, 02:38 PM
GCC comes with every distro, usually on the first CD with the other core stuff. The other CDs are just extra apps, eg StarOffice etc.

I would reccomend Mandrake to new users.

There is about a 99% chance you've got a winmodem. If you want you can check support for it at www.linmodems.org.

18-10-2001, 06:38 PM
with Suse everything is 100% tested before they package it, With Mandrake they poke the lastest and greatest in the pagekage even if it has bugs in it

18-10-2001, 08:00 PM
I have Redhat on one Machine and Mandrake on another. I find Mandrake more user friendly. There is also an excellent book out at Whitcoulls at the moment for new users that includes Red Hat7 on 3 CDs. But getting 7.1 would be advisable as it supports a lot more hardware etc.
Go here for cheap Linux Distributions, I have dealt here in the past and the service is excellent.
www.xsolutions.co.nz

18-10-2001, 10:54 PM
Sorry, about the modem, It is possible to get some winmodems working in Linux but my advice is save yourself the hassle (which could be considerable) and buy an external. (Not usb go for a serial) I have a Dynalink and both Distros picked it up on Installation and I have had no trouble.
GL