PDA

View Full Version : Slow Internet downloads, web surfing, overall performance. Network driver or virus?

Gemi
29-10-2011, 05:22 AM
Hi all. I'm new to this forum but having read through several threads, I was impressed enough with your computer savvy members that I thought I would drop onto my hands and knees and beg for some help. ;)

Here's my situation:

I received a used emachine hard drive but there was no visible network driver under "network connections" in the control panel. So I couldn't access the internet without downloading the appropriate NVIDIA network driver from emachine's website, (compatible with the make and model of my computer). I think this computer originally had windows Vista operating system but it had Windows XP 64 bit on it when I received it.

Anyway, after downloading the network driver, I had internet access but the speed was on par with dial up and I have DSL. I contacted my ISP who did find issues with my connection but they have since fixed it and my internet surfing is still lagging. I tried using Device Manager to upgrade my network driver (it was the only driver that the device manager found an update for), but when I updated it, the "local connection" under "network connections" in the control panel disappeared and, once again, there was no internet access. So I re-downloaded the original network driver and voila..slow internet access again, but internet access nonetheless.

So, I have had enough malware, viruses, and such to know that this is very similar to their behavior and suspect that they may be the cause or a portion of it. (I'm convinced that there's something wrong with the driver since it doesn't let me upgrade it...or maybe I'm just computer illiterate).

Using HijackThis software, I ran a diagnostic of the computer and the following is the log it supplied. But, again, I'm no expert and could use some help deciphering what issues (if any), it shows from this log and how to fix them.

I would be very grateful for some assistance. Before a virus wiped out my other hard drive, my DSL connection was instant...there was little to no lag. Now I'm drumming my fingers on the desk as my eyes cross, watching the "loading" icon bar crawl.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
All my best,

Mel

P.S. (sorry so long-winded)

HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:53:17 AM, on 10/28/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 924\dlccmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\CrossriderWebApps\Crossrider.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcccoms.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files\Advanced System Optimizer\aso.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Freecause Shopping BHO - {65C3061D-4456-415A-B97C-1C14099AB2FF} - C:\Program Files\Shop to Win 15\Shop to Win 15.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: CrossRider - {A876E312-7D08-401a-B7A6-FAFC5DC2F292} - C:\Program Files\CrossriderWebApps\Crossrider.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced System Optimizer] "C:\Program Files\Advanced System Optimizer 3\ASO3.exe" /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecoverFromReboot] C:\WINDOWS\Temp\RecoverFromReboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCCCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCCtim e.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlccmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 924\dlccmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CrossRiderPlugin] C:\Program Files\CrossriderWebApps\Crossrider.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Startup Manager] C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\Application Data\Systweak\ASO 2\smstartUp manager.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: dlcc_device - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcccoms.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

--
End of file - 4502 bytes

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Get rid of Advanced System Optimizer.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

This sounds like adware or something

O2 - BHO: Freecause Shopping BHO - {65C3061D-4456-415A-B97C-1C14099AB2FF} - C:\Program Files\Shop to Win 15\Shop to Win 15.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced System Optimizer] "C:\Program Files\Advanced System Optimizer 3\ASO3.exe" /autorun

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Uninstall this

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RecoverFromReboot] C:\WINDOWS\Temp\RecoverFromReboot.exe

If this belongs to Advanced system optimizer, tick it

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Startup Manager] C:\Documents and Settings\Mel\Application Data\Systweak\ASO 2\smstartUp manager.exe

Install SP3, then keep XP up to date

PPp
29-10-2011, 05:10 PM
What are the specs of this computer?

Chilling_Silence
31-10-2011, 09:23 AM
A couple of things come to mind:
1) 64-bit XP!?!
2) What happens if you take it to a friends place, or a friends laptop (for example) to yours, are their speeds significantly better? That will rule out that it's your PC so we can focus on your connection, or it'll prove its JUST your PC
3) Who's your ISP? What plan are you on?
4) What's your rough 'region'? e.g. Mt Roskill in Auckland, as this will help us to roughly determine if you've been cabinetized and should be getting 10mbps+

Welcome to the forums :)

Agent_24
31-10-2011, 02:03 PM
I received a used emachine hard drive but there was no visible network driver under "network connections" in the control panel. So I couldn't access the internet without downloading the appropriate NVIDIA network driver from emachine's website, (compatible with the make and model of my computer). I think this computer originally had windows Vista operating system but it had Windows XP 64 bit on it when I received it

Did you receive a hard drive or a computer?

If you stuck a hard drive from an older machine into your machine, you might have more issues than just network drivers, due to Windows being installed on hardware different to your own.

Gemi
02-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi, thanks for the suggestions so far but they aren't resolving the issue. I'm not removing the Advanced System Optimizer, it's my registry cleaner. I don't have antivirus/malware software on the computer yet, since I've only had the computer for a couple of days...6 now? roughly. (I will purchase a premium antivirus..these free softwares are useless).

As to the other questions:

1) My computer is an emachine AMD Athlon processor, EL series, model number: EL300G. 1.61 GHz, 1.75 GB RAM. I have plenty of memory available so it isn't slow because of excessive memory usage/CIP usage or anything pertaining to temporary files, etc. I defragged the system just in case and it showed two needle-width sections of used up space. Everything else was blank (that's how much memory I have available).

2) Yes, I have a Windows XP 64 bit edition operating system downloaded onto this machine. (XP comes in a 32 bit edition and a 64 bit edition). It originally had a Windows Vista operating system I think

3) My internet service provider is my phone company, (Windstream). I'm in Upstate New York, and they did detect an issue with speed streaming but have since fixed it. I re-ran their speed test online and it now shows faster DSL streaming above 10mbps. They tried suggesting I upgrade to a faster DSL but I refused since my last computer was instantaneous with the speed of DSL I currently have. (Plus it was instant with an upgrade on this computer...as I will discuss below). So it has to be the computer and not my actual connection.

4) I haven't brought the computer anywhere. I spoke to the person who gave me the computer and he said he had no problems. But then, he couldn't explain why there was no network driver on the computer when he gave it to me since he had internet access on it after installing windows xp onto the computer. I don't know if things are different if you have a wireless connection or what but apparently he had no issues with the computer.

5) Sorry, yes I received an actual computer...the tower, it's a desktop. I use tower interchangeably with "hard drive."

This computer is excessively slow. It can't be viruses or malware that are causing these speed issues since I was told that the operating system was just put on the computer before I received it, (which might explain lack of network driver when I received it). Anyway, I've been looking this up online and it seems that a lot of people are having issues with NVIDIA network drivers.

*** Here is the link to the network driver that I downloaded for my computer...xp edition. An upgrade was detected with device manager but this is the only network driver download that works for my make/model:
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1265 (It is the LAN Driver: NVIDIA is the vendor, 67.7.6.1 is the version, 122.7 MB is the size, 09/09/2009 is the date.)

I wonder too if something is wrong with this computer's system files b/c when I tried to update my drivers the device manager found an update for this network driver but when it was installed...internet access vanished, nothing showed up under "network connections" where it's supposed to show your local connection. But before the internet crashed, this happened:

When I DID upgrade the network driver and clicked on the internet, the internet worked for a matter of seconds. Yahoo webpage opened instantly. Then I typed google into the address bar and that opened instantly. I was thinking "yes, thank you...slow browsing speed b/c of the network driver. All I needed was an update."

But then the google page went white with a message that I lost connection because I was now working offline. I looked under "file" and saw that "work offline" was checked (which did so on its own). I unchecked it and still had no internet access...looked under "network connections" and nothing showed up....no "local connection" showed up where it was supposed to be. It just vanished. This is dodgy for this behavior to happen after upgrading your network driver.

So I'm positive it's the network driver or some sort of system failure. Can't be a virus if this operating system was just installed a week ago. So, does anyone have any idea with this could be? And why did the automatic update for my network driver work perfectly for a matter of seconds (less than a minute), but then disappear? I tried looking this up online but haven't seen this issue.

I appreciate the help guys. Thanks again for taking the time to read all of this and respond. :)

Gemi
02-11-2011, 05:48 AM
P.S. It took 6 bloody minutes for a 1 minute 20 second Youtube video to buffer. This is what I'm talking about. This speed is ridiculously slow. I downloaded Avira antivirus free download just to run a scan. That took 12 hours. And when I tried opening it, it said it required windows xp operating system or a newer operating system to function properly...and it refused to open (saying I didn't have the required operating system). I don't understand this because I DO have XP. (I wonder if he used the wrong cd when installing XP onto this computer? *sighs*)

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
What speeds do you get if you go to www.speedtest.net ?

Also, I checked the link you gave, all those are for 32-bit XP. Nothing 64-bit XP. Basically there's bugger all reason to ever run 64-bit WinXP, mostly because the driver support just isn't there. 64-bit really only took off with Win7, though it was available with Vista, the polish in relation to the OS / Drivers wasn't quite there.

Speedy Gonzales
02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
I would be careful with registry cleaners. Some can screw a system up completely. I would install a more up to date OS

Agent_24
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
5) Sorry, yes I received an actual computer...the tower, it's a desktop. I use tower interchangeably with "hard drive."

Well that's just very confusing, and not a good idea.

If you know the difference, use the correct name. Most people here actually know the difference. The computer\tower and a hard drive are completely different things.

This computer is excessively slow. It can't be viruses or malware that are causing these speed issues since I was told that the operating system was just put on the computer before I received it, (which might explain lack of network driver when I received it). Anyway, I've been looking this up online and it seems that a lot of people are having issues with NVIDIA network drivers.

You were told that, but that doesn't make it true. Or it might be, but the person who installed the OS may done something wrong.

They might have plugged in an infected USB stick and given it a virus before they gave it to you.

Have you tried the network drivers from nVidia themselves, rather than Gateway?

This computer is excessively slow.

Might be a hardware fault.

Check motherboard and PSU for failing capacitors, check hard drive health with something that can read SMART (Speedfan, HDAT2 for example)

dugimodo
02-11-2011, 11:33 AM
A simple test is to boot of a live linux CD and test the performance, I have Ubuntu on a flash drive and it boots faster than windows on the hard drive and everything just works so it's a pretty simple test.
If it browses without issues then you definately have a software problem. Of course downloading Linux on your connection could in itself be a problem.

XP pro x64 is something of an orphan OS and not actually much to do with XP, it's based off one of the server kernals and not XP so although it looks the same it's a very different beast. I have a copy at home I can't find a use for. Driver and software support is patchy for it because it just really never took off (gamers flirted with it briefly for performance in a few titles). On the plus side it's WoW (windows on windows or something) supported most 32bit programs very well so you can use it like normal XP most of the time. There is no benefit to a 64Bit OS with <4 GB of RAM, normal 32 bit XP would be better.

Normally I would say drivers are very unlikely to cause your issues but if you have 32bit XP drivers on a 64 bit system maybe it could be a problem. Perhaps start task manager and check the network stats, see if there is any traffic when you are idling, maybe something is hogging your bandwidth.

If I understand your ISP speed test exceeded 10Mbps? if so you tube should stream just fine.

Agent_24
02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
A simple test is to boot of a live linux CD and test the performance, I have Ubuntu on a flash drive and it boots faster than windows on the hard drive and everything just works so it's a pretty simple test.
If it browses without issues then you definately have a software problem.

While that's very likely to be the case in this situation with the ethernet, it's worth noting that if Linux works fine it doesn't rule out a hardware problem.

For example, I have a board here with faulty onboard sound - it's definitely faulty because it creates a lot of static in the audio.

In Windows, it causes ~30% CPU usage constantly, in Linux this is not the case.

Installing a new sound card and disabling the onboard sound fixes the issue.

dugimodo
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd agree that it's not 100% proof, but I'd put it in the 95% + range. Sometimes different software can show up faults that are invisible under other conditions. However the Audio problems you describe could just as easily be the result of bad drivers in windows and do not in themselves prove a hardware issue.

Agent_24
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Doubt it, the crackling\static is audible during POST as well.

Chilling_Silence
02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
The only thing we can conclude from that is that Linux is awesome :D

Gemi
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the input. I've been away for work and haven't had time to look into all of your suggestions. I did download a demo HDAT2 and it showed a number of potential issues but it's a foreign language to me and the demo does nothing to fix these potential issues. I'll have to post what it says. I ran the speed stream test again and I was wrong. I was at 1-1.5 Mbps, not at the ethernet speed of 10Mbps. That was 2 days ago. I ran the test again a second ago and now it's showing me at 543kbps download speed (massively slow), and 393kbps upload speed.

When I spoke to my ISP a week ago they said I had the "Broadband Lite" package (I'll have to call them again to get back up to 1.5Mbps), and if I want faster speed then I have to purchase a different package. This is confusing to me though. My last computer (which happened, ironically, to have the same operating system and all..but was a dell with Intel drivers), ran perfectly at this speed. So do particular network drivers require more broadband speed/juice than others?

Forgive my ignorance on this, I'm no expert. And again, I'll look into the other things you guys mentioned and post results. Going to buy all of you a pizza too for all the time you've put into this. Don't know how but... lol

Thanks again and I'll post more results to the tests you suggested.

Agent_24
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Try Speedfan instead of HDAT2. It will be much easier to get the results onto the forum probably.