PDA

View Full Version : Vitual machine

beninstine
28-10-2011, 03:39 PM
what is the best light vitual software to run the latest ubuntu (11.10) the laptop has only 156MB of ram which is low and is running win XP SP1

wratterus
28-10-2011, 03:47 PM
You'll be lucky to get it installed with that much RAM. The last few Ubuntu distros are quite a bit heavier than XP. Even if you did get it installed, it will run like an utter dog. maybe look for a lighter distro? And running it in a virtual machine with that much RAM isn't going to be a hapenning thing either, you'd need to install it on the hard drive.

mikebartnz
28-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Forget trying to run Ubuntu you need a light weight Linux like Puppy but I'm not sure of the favourite these days. Even then running something like VirtualBox will be a dog on that amount of ram.

johnd
28-10-2011, 08:05 PM
You really need more RAM to even begin looking at any virtual machine. The amount you have is already light for just XP. You really need a minimum of 1GB to get started. It also makes a big improvement having a dual core CPU.

Agent_24
28-10-2011, 11:53 PM
About the only thing I would try running in a virtual machine on that much RAM would be Windows 98 or lower, or some really light Linux like DSL.

Forget about running Ubuntu 11.10 - well it will probably run but it will be horrible, save yourself the torture.

If you want to try Linux, Puppy or DSL would run OK in a VM (but even better on bare metal, and as a LiveCD you don't need to install anything) - both will run fine on your laptop as is.
But if you seriously want to try Ubuntu, get more RAM.

I'm pretty sure there will be other, fairly decent distros that will run on that amount of RAM, installed normally, but not Ubuntu. They say 256MB minimum and even that is stupid. 512MB or more is what you need for it.