PDA

View Full Version : Orcon Genius ... phone / internet package ... Good or Bad ... any other suggestions ?

SP8's
27-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Looking at changing over from Teletubies to another provider ... any other provider ... :angry

If anyone has the Genius package i.e.

30GB Data
Homeline
Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting
Orcon Genius Modem
No Contract

Just wanting to know whether they're OK ... or if anyone has any better solutions, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Myth
27-10-2011, 09:29 PM
We looked at getting Genius. But apparently our exchange (altho just upgraded) was incompatible with Genius.
Check with Orcon first about your local exchange

SP8's
27-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Had a quick check on their site ... says it's OK. Having said that, I'll be calling them to make sure before going ahead. Really just wanting some feedback as to who is the best phone/internet provider ... having a few problems with Teletubies trying to double charge ... they credit one month, then slap it back on the next ... just over the bloody hassle of it.

pctek
28-10-2011, 06:35 AM
I've had the least problems with Telecom.

Orcon - their support has gone downhill recently, and I haven't see too many positive reviews on the Genius.

WalOne
28-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I've had no problems at all with Orcon Genius. The only giveaway the service is not a landline is the occasional echo when having a conversation. A bit distracting. The package with 30Gb broadband for $70 is great for me. Orcon accounts are run by accounts people, not IT people, and therefore efficiently. Just a few problems setting up right at the start, mainly due to their customer service people not knowing the product. It seemed their customer people may have been seconded from Vodafone or Telecom because IT-specific attitudes of indifference, arrogance, and customers don't-know-what-they're-talking-about had crept in. I had to go to the inet help desk to have some basic questions answered.

Otherwise, can't complain.

bk T
28-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Basically, they are all the same, save all the hassle and stick to where you are. Don't waste your time.

WalOne
28-10-2011, 10:07 AM
I've saved myself $50 or so a month, I don't think that's wasting time :D

bk T
28-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I've saved myself $50 or so a month, I don't think that's wasting time :D

Good on you

mzee
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Had a few small problems with Genius at the beginning but all is well now.
Speed is up to 13Mbps from 4Mbps. Disabled the Call waiting as it was upsetting the Fax. Fax is not supported but if you drop the send speed down to 700 it usually works fine. The phone is clearer than the old land line, and we are getting 30gb instead of 20gb for $30 a month less. Toll and International calls are a bit expensive, but if you use Skype for these its not a problem. The Modem runs cool, and you can plug a hard drive into it for common files, music etc. You can use any standard phones on it. The Wireless is powerful.

Chilling_Silence
05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Disabling Interleaving can also improve faxing, provided there's no packet loss on your line, as it lowers your ping times.

Organicpete
06-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Totally loved dumping Telecon as phone provider.
Orcon service is very good
Pete

Organicpete
06-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Basically, they are all the same, save all the hassle and stick to where you are. Don't waste your time.

Eh ? I save $ and get better ping.

mzee
06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Disabling Interleaving can also improve faxing, provided there's no packet loss on your line, as it lowers your ping times.

I was losing packets without Interleaving, but is Ok with it, little more latency. Also needs "Quality of Service" on as the phone can break up without it.

Chilling_Silence
06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah Interleaving (In a nutshell) increases latency by doing 'checks' at the exchange end to make sure they've got the data that your router sent, so it 'holds' it there momentarily... Probably the easiest way to explain it.

Good QoS is *essential*, otherwise as soon as somebody fires up YouTube, or sends an email attachment and saturates your internet connection, the phone call will become diabolical :(