PDA

View Full Version : Capture PC Screen to Hard drive

Egull
27-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Is there any way or softwere that will save to your HD what you are watching on your PC so you could burn to a dvd later?

Any help appreciated

Egull
Ohope

icow
27-10-2011, 08:03 PM
umm i dunno what fraps and camstudio record at but fraps normally looks pretty good.

Grimy
30-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I guess there are heaps, but I use Ashampoo Snap (now up to Snap 5).

Agent_24
30-10-2011, 08:49 PM
VLC can do it very well actually.

Sick Puppy
30-10-2011, 08:56 PM
If you are using Firefox, the NetvideoHunter addon works for me.

Robin S_
31-10-2011, 11:06 PM
I have used MK Snap (free from mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html) for years and found it good. You can select even tiny portions of a screen display, and can save in its own data folder or copy and paste to any app. Its only problem is that it is a straight screen grabber, so there is no provision for scrolling the display to capture anything that is longer and/or wider than one screen. It sounds as though this would do what you want but I would be keen to hear of an equivalent that would allow scrolling to capture more than one screenful.

HTH

Billy T
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm still trying to find a program that can capture a full DOS program screen running in XP. I can only achieve that via keyboard commands because there is nothing else showing and the program won't run in a window. At present I have had to put my old W2K computer back together and transfer files via USB stick to do the screen capture then load the images back onto the XP machine which is a time consuming job. The program is for an 'out of production' scientific instrument and there is no manufacturer support any more.

Before I drive down Heartbreak Highway yet another time, is MK Snap likely to be any use for this?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Try this:

"Snarf is a TSR program that takes snapshots of virtually any DOS graphic or text screen. It's particularly useful under Windows XP, which will not capture DOS graphic screens. Although Snarf is not an XPL0 program, it's so useful it had to be made available somewhere. It's 100% assembly code, and the source (of course) is included. Download Snarf15.zip (http://www.xpl0.org/SNARF15.ZIP) (31k, 25-May-2007)."

(http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/mix_entry.php?id=10157)

Robin S_
01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi Billy,
I haven't tried to do what you want to but if Snarf won't then MK Snap would be easy to try. I suspect it won't work, though.

Billy T
01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
It's 100% assembly code, and the source (of course) is included.

I like the name, so I'm keen to give it a go, but what does all that assembly/source etc mean? Do you have to go through some steps to get it running? or do you just put it in a folder and run the exe?

My DOS program starts from a batch file and it is a complicated little bugger, but I have other DOS programs that are started straight from the exe.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Actually I think we lost a little of the magic when we went and hid behind Windows (or MAC OS), I used to enjoy getting DOS programs running. I've got one Swedish DOS program that won't run in W2K or XP and they refuse to do anything about it, yet the instruments cost me the thick end of $20,000 back in 1995. Note to self: Try DOS Box

Agent_24
01-11-2011, 09:48 PM
You don't need to worry about the source code unless you want to compile the thing yourself or make changes.

Just run the executable (snarf.exe) from the command line and hopefully it should work, personally I haven't tried it yet but the description sounds like it could be what you want. Check the readme file for more information, it should have all you need.

DOSBox might run your program but I'd be doubtful if you'd actually be able to access your instrumentation hardware.

Woody
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
In W7 the snipping tool would do it.
Will capture full screen / selected rectangular snip / or free form if you only want a small section.
No fiddling to set up - it's there in W7.
Good luck