PDA

View Full Version : Crash hid folder

black1955
27-10-2011, 12:37 AM
I have been having blue-screen crashes, and yesterday the computer went into a loop where it couldn't open windows. I took it back, under warranty, and the problem was the graphics card. But in the last crash, the directory I was working in at the time has disappeared and search can't find any of the files inside it. I know it is still there because of the size of volume used on the C Drive( it was my home movies folder). Does anyone know how I can recover it and access it again?

Yours in grateful anticipation

Agent_24
27-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Yes the folder is still there, but Windows doesn't know where, likely due to filesystem\MFT corruption. the contents of the folder may also be corrupted.

Note that the location on disk where the files resided are now potentially marked as "free space" - and continued use of the machine could cause extra data loss.

Running CHKDSK would also be a bad idea.

What you need to do is run a data recovery program, something like Testdisk should work, which is free, however not super easy to use.

There are also other programs which are paid for that are much easier to use, such as GetDataBack.

The most important thing to note is that to ensure the files do not get overwritten is to STOP using the computer, take the hard drive out and scan it with a recovery program on another machine. Do NOT recover the files to the drive they were lost from. Do NOT write to the drive they were lost from at all, until you recover them.

black1955
27-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks very much. I'll have a go.