PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Cooler - custom script needed?

Disco_Dan
26-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Been looking at a few laptop coolers online and they all appear to follow the same simple design - a raised platform with a fan. So I was looking at making my own.

The platform is easy to fabricate, also finding a suitable fan is pretty straightforward.

What I would like help with is the control side of things. What I had in mind was a fan/s connected to a USB plug that plugs into the laptop - this provides power to the fans.

This would mean the fan/s are running full blast all the time - not ideal. Unless the fan/s are very quiet.

Is it possible for someone in the know to write a simple script to control the USB slot on the laptop - ie "when temp reaches X turn on usb port"

* Does anyone who knows enough about programming think this is possible?
* Does anyone know where to get a large QUIET fan?

Thanks in advance folks!

Disco_Dan
26-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Another thought would be to have full power provided to the cooler via USB but then incorporate a variable adjustment knob on the side to manually adjust fan speeds. But this would not allow on the fly fan speed adjustment. Hmmm.

Disco_Dan
26-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Managed to find some sheet metal to make the stand which will easily bend into the "J" shape.

Just need the fans and some way of controlling them or slowing the speed.

Burnzee
26-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi Disco Dan

Even better way is to install THIS (http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/schematics.html?di=47949) simple Electronic Temp Control. Only three parts, easy to make. Just install it under your platform, with the sensor on top by the laptop internal fan's air flow. I got a real cheap but cool, (pun intended!!) Laptop Cooler off Trade Me and modded as explained above. Works great. No Hassles. Does require a separate power supply though.

Just some suggestions, use three or four small fans rather than one large fan. Less noise. Circuit above will handle either. Add some bright blue Leds to dress it up underneath.

Hope this helps ...

BURNZEE

Disco_Dan
26-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Disco Dan

Even better way is to install THIS (http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/schematics.html?di=47949) simple Electronic Temp Control. Only three parts, easy to make. Just install it under your platform, with the sensor on top by the laptop internal fan's air flow. I got a real cheap but cool, (pun intended!!) Laptop Cooler off Trade Me and modded as explained above. Works great. No Hassles. Does require a separate power supply though.

Just some suggestions, use three or four small fans rather than one large fan. Less noise. Circuit above will handle either. Add some bright blue Leds to dress it up underneath.

Hope this helps ...

BURNZEE

Thank you - link sounds great. Also the fans - I always thought a larger fan can push the same volume of air while spinning at a slower speed thus a bigger fan running slow is silent while a small fan running fast to push same amount of air is loud?

Burnzee
26-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Disco Dan

I always thought a larger fan can push the same volume of air while spinning at a slower speed thus a bigger fan running slow is silent while a small fan running fast to push same amount of air is loud?

This is correct but I'm not suggesting a single small fan. If you used say three small fans they are sharing the air flow between them. Another advantage of using multiple fans is the cooling area is greatly enhanced. Instead of one large fan providing one cool spot, you can place multiple fans where they are needed most. Simply feel the bottom of your lappie to find where they are needed.

If you make the circuit as above then the fans never have to run on full at all. On my Laptop the internal fan hardly switches on and the Cooler Fans kick in. Before you know it all fans switch off. Hardly any noise.

BURNZEE