PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebytes or Spybot ?

Digby
26-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi guys

I used to use Spybot
Then I was told about Malwarebytes on here and have used it for 2 years and its great (it got me out of a bad attack)

Do many people still use Spybot ?

wainuitech
26-10-2011, 08:17 AM
No one antimalware will catch everything.

There have been countless times I have run Malwarebytes through peoples computers, then run Super Antispyware and found quite a few more. Then run Spybot and may or may not find others.

Dont be fooled , Malwarebytes is not the fantastic end all antimalware program some think it is, it is good, but far from perfect.

You will find some programs will detect some infections while others wont. To be as sure as you can, you need to run several programs. What one program misses, others will pickup

Update:heres an example: yesterday I ran Malwarebytes through a customers PC I have in the workshop, it found around 20 - just started running another scan this morning, with super antispyware and after 5 minutes its found 2 more already, one is a trojan.

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Nope, just Malwarebytes :)

kahawai chaser
26-10-2011, 08:25 AM
I run both amongst others, despite them never finding anything on my PC. Spybot does find tons of trackers and similar on my kids PC's (up to about 20 of them every time, every week), I think from gaming sites.

dugimodo
26-10-2011, 10:05 AM
TBH I haven't been using any for a while, last time it was spybot. I guess I should load up a few and run them before this weekends LAN.
I've used malwarebytes to fix the fake antivirus on a friends computer which spybot couldn't do, although the combination did work better than either indiviually.

I've been slack for the last 12 months, just got MSE running and an occasional Ccleaner scan that's it. Amazingly everything is running sweetly (unless I try SLI in WoW but that's a whole other story).
I would (in fact will tonight) use malwarebytes and at least one other, noone mentions adaware anymore but last I tried it seemed to perform fairly identically to spybot (neither found anything after the other had run).

I do like some of spybots advanced tools, but they should be used with caution.

ManUFan
26-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Personally I have use MSE and Spybots immunization feature (don't run it per se as it removes some of my cookies and I can't seem to figure out how to stop it doing this). Also run Malwarebytes fairly regularly (once a week). But I don't visit dodgy sites either :-)

26-10-2011, 11:03 AM
No one antimalware will catch everything.

There have been countless times I have run Malwarebytes through peoples computers, then run Super Antispyware and found quite a few more. ...

+1
Have had a few PC's that Ive run NOD, KAV, MBytes, SpywareDoctor, then run a 5th & it finds more.
Sigh, at that stage its a reload.

Antispyware/antimalware is re-active. They have to wait for infections to be discovered in the wild before they can
write sig's/updates to detect them.
:badpc:

pctek
26-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Both and add Superantspyware too.

It's one AV because they clash - but it's always many AS's.

Zara Baxter
26-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I run both Spybot and MBytes.