PDA

View Full Version : wireless router driver and setup

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Hi all. I have a Linksys wrt150N wireless router that I need a driver for.

I tried installing it from the setup disk, but ran into a glitch, because it needed my cable broadband modem to be set up on system first. Modem is plug and play. No set up disk for it.

Went to Linksys site only to find that they have stopped support for my router, and no drivers are available through them.

Any advice on how to install and hook them up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chilling_Silence
25-10-2011, 05:50 AM
You don't need drivers for it. Basically plug your PC in to the back of it using a network cable, and load up your web browser.
Open up http://192.168.1.1 and you should see the Linksys WRT150N
By default, the "WAN Port" should be set to use DHCP. If it is, this is fine.

You can probably then just plug your Cable Modem in to the WAN port of the Linksys WRT150N and you're away laughing! :)
Worst-case scenario is that your Cable Modem is also giving out IP Addresses on the same range, and the Linksys is getting confused. If that's the case, from the Web GUI of the Linksys, change it so that it has the IP Address of 192.168.2.1 and gives out IPs from 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.150 (for example).

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 06:07 AM
thanks. will try this.
(boy do i feel stupid.)

MushHead
25-10-2011, 08:14 AM
You will probably have to set up your static IP address info that comes with your account (TelstraClear, I assume) as the WAN settings for the Linksys to get things to work. That's how you did it in my day! (been a longtime TC cable customer).

wainuitech
25-10-2011, 08:39 AM
You will probably have to set up your static IP address info that comes with your account (TelstraClear, I assume) as the WAN settings for the Linksys to get things to work. That's how you did it in my day! (been a longtime TC cable customer).Thats still the case.

On the Computer,You set the IP address under the LAN connection to obtain automatically(write it down first, before changing), then open the routers interface, and under static IP, enter the IP address and DNS server address as is was in the LAN connection previously. Save it, give the router time to accept the changes and away it should go.

If you leave the IP address from Telstra in the LAN settings it wont work.

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Okay, I tried the first suggestion and I got to the linksys page and it wanted a username and password, which i don't have. when i attempted to hook up the modem as well, I had no internet at all. what do i do now? and how do i find out my ip address? thanks. sorry if i seem stupid here, it's been a crazy day.

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Okay, I tried the first suggestion and I got to the linksys page and it wanted a username and password, which i don't have. when i attempted to hook up the modem as well, I had no internet at all. what do i do now? and how do i find out my ip address? thanks. sorry if i seem stupid here, it's been a crazy day.

wainuitech
25-10-2011, 10:40 AM
it will be on the manual, or maybe written on the back of the router.

WRT150N Default user Name and Password

User Name (blank) no name
Password admin

Default IP 192.168.1.1

Read my previous post as to how to set it up.

if those dont work, try

User Name amin
Password admin

or

User Name amin
Password password

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 01:22 PM
thanks. will try this and let you know what happens.

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 04:07 PM
okay, i tried all the suggestions and still no luck. now i can't access the page i got that asked for a user and password. when i have it hooked up to the computer, i can not find the router listed anywhere.

can someone please give me detailed instructions on where to find all the info i need to get it to work? thank you.

wainuitech
25-10-2011, 04:25 PM
What OS do you have ??

Depending on the OS you have, will depend on what instructions are given -- No point in giving instructions for XP if you have Vista or Windows 7 :)

The physical Setup goes like this -- From the Telstra motorola Modem to the WAN port on the router.

From the Ethernet port on the Computer to any numbered port on the router 1-4, doesn't matter which number.

( see attachment)

NOTE:

While the LAN connection on the PC has the current Telstra setting you sometimes wont be able to access the Router, setting the LAN setting to obtain automatically will allow access.

You need to write down the current Telstra IP address you have entered on the LAN connection in the Computer before you change it, then those numbers have to be entered into the router other wise you wont get a connection to the Internet.

starrekin61
25-10-2011, 04:53 PM
WOO HOO!!! SUCCESS!!!! Now to hook up the recalcitrant laptop!