PDA

View Full Version : Webcams - how are they now?

Nomad
23-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Just wondering. I have a 2 or 3yr old webcam which is a 1.3 Megapixel Logitech, it looks like quite similar to a Netbook inbuilt camera.

Have anyone used something new and higher spec'd via Skype, and what is the improvements you can see?

To me I don't need 1080HD via Skype :p but want better contrast between darker areas and brighter areas ie., open curtains or LCD screen, better sharpness and better focusing.

:thanks

The Error Guy
23-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Well it kinda depends on the internet connection, I would never really buy a 1080HD or any HD webcam unless I'd use it for stuff other than skype, global internet connections can't support that much traffic, at least not now. It could work inside the country but going overseas skype would crush the quality down so there is no point investing anyway IMHO.

Right now I use the HP TrueVision HD, which isn't HD btw :p I think its 3.2 MP, not sure what other people see but its usually pretty nice as far as inbuilt cams go.

What you should look for is nice frame rate to stop the jerky and blurred motion along with a decent image sensor, it may sound strange but the PS3 Eye works nicely as a webcam if you download the CL Eye driver for it so it works on windows. Nice picture, sharp image and at about 60fps the motion is smooth.

I don't know if you can buy the camera by itself in NZ, I could only find it bundled with the eyepet game for $50 http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=487832

Nomad
23-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah the 1080D was just an eg .. but the camera might have better technology overall even thou if you used it at a lower 320s480 ish ..

I have Logitech S5500, I find that yeah it can be blurry. But more so, the person's face can be a lot brighter than the rest of the picture and it was not helpful that I spent just $50 on it which only has fixed focus. Overall the color and the contrast between darker and lighter areas is quite average too.

Tony
24-10-2011, 02:57 PM
I've got a Logitech C510 and I think it is great. Mind you it is the first webcam I've owned, so I might not be the best judge.

Nomad
24-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe I have a photography interest, I see the typical mediocre webcam quality :p

Mine one is a fixed focus and isn't a Carl Zeiss lens. I may look at the Logitech C910 but have research thru using a Mini DV camera as a webcam and ditto with a Digital SLR that is capable of video teetered to the computer (using 3rd party software to grab the screen).

linw
25-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Another very happy C510 owner, here. My son has one as well so I can see the quality in his images.

Ron24
27-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Just wondering. I have a 2 or 3yr old webcam which is a 1.3 Megapixel Logitech, it looks like quite similar to a Netbook inbuilt camera.

Have anyone used something new and higher spec'd via Skype, and what is the improvements you can see?

To me I don't need 1080HD via Skype :p but want better contrast between darker areas and brighter areas ie., open curtains or LCD screen, better sharpness and better focusing.

:thanks

Have Logitech 9000, brilliant on Skype!. I paid $200.00 for it couple of years ago, now on special about seventy bucks. Good luck ..