PDA

View Full Version : Babylon

Poppa John
23-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi All.
I installed Babylon out of curiosity, now I cannot get rid of it. I have managed to delete the Toolbar but not the Program.
I tried the uninstaller that came with it & same in Add & Remove, no go.
Installed Revo & no go.

Any suggestions? Please? PJ

pctek
23-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Manual uninstall? Main folder, profile locations, manual search through registry.

Revo is mostly good if you have it monitor the install, but not if it didn't.

Poppa John
23-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Manual uninstall? Main folder, profile locations, manual search through registry.

Revo is mostly good if you have it monitor the install, but not if it didn't.

I don't know how to do that. Could you type me a step by step please? PJ.

wainuitech
23-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Babylon can be a real bastard to remove - did it on Friday, took a while but once I found the right instructions it was out in a moment.

Its not just a case of uninstalling it, because it doesn't have an uninstaller as such, and its not in all in the profile either, uninstall programs like Revo wont work ( I tried).Mumble mumble sneaky bugger

Heres what I did go to c:\programfiles/mozilla/SEARCHPLUGINS/.... look for the baylon.xml entry and DELETE it. Close the window

Next open FF, Type about:config in the address bar and hit enter, agree to the warning (and make sure you do) dont touch any thing apart from the following other wise you can screw FF -- the warning before is there for a reason:

Type Babylon in the search query and hit enter -- it will bring up a load of Babylon entries -- you cant delete them, BUT Highlight each of these entries one at a time, right click and pick "reset" ----- this will wipe it out.

Once finished - close FF, reopen and Babylon should now history -- left the building -- gone ta-ta's etc. :D

Poppa John
23-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Babylon can be a real bastard to remove - did it on Friday, took a while but once I found the right instructions it was out in a moment.

Its not just a case of uninstalling it, because it doesn't have an uninstaller as such, and its not in all in the profile either, uninstall programs like Revo wont work ( I tried).Mumble mumble sneaky bugger

Heres what I did go to c:\programfiles/mozilla/SEARCHPLUGINS/.... look for the baylon.xml entry and DELETE it. Close the window

Next open FF, Type about:config in the address bar and hit enter, agree to the warning (and make sure you do) dont touch any thing apart from the following other wise you can screw FF -- the warning before is there for a reason:

Type Babylon in the search query and hit enter -- it will bring up a load of Babylon entries -- you cant delete them, BUT Highlight each of these entries one at a time, right click and pick "reset".

Once finished - close FF, reopen and Babylon is now history -- left the building -- gone ta-ta's etc. :D

I don't have Mozilla or Firefox, do I need to install them first? PJ

wainuitech
23-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Ok that stuffed that idea then :illogical

No you dont need to install FF.

The majority of people having problems with Babylon removal use Firefox.

What browser is it staying put / having problems in ?

Poppa John
23-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok that stuffed that idea then :illogical

No you dont need to install FF.

The majority of people having problems with Babylon removal use Firefox.

What browser is it staying put / having problems in ?

IE8 & Google toolbars, also to get it off the laptop altogether. PJ

Agent_24
23-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Pretty much totally off-topic, but if you get sick of the Babylon you've got, try this version instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPb1BsNsY8 :D

Lurking
24-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Pretty much totally off-topic, but if you get sick of the Babylon you've got, try this version instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPb1BsNsY8 :D

Agent, prefer the original.

Wainui, you used the proper word for that Babylon.

Poppa John, I used Revo to get rid of it, had to get it to remove all the excess bits floating around as well.

Another older program I have which one has to pay for now is RegCleaner http://www.jv16.org/

Lurking.

GameJunkie
24-10-2011, 10:47 AM
would safe mode be of any help?