PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vaio AC adapter/battery charging problems

whallenich
22-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi all,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW53GF laptop which is about 2 years old.

This afternoon I started experiencing a problem with the AC adatper/battery.

Specifically, the battery will not charge when plugged into the AC. This randomly just started happening.

The laptop works fine off the battery although that is now nearly flat.

I've had a brief look online and haven't found an easy fix. For example, I've tried booting the laptop up without the battery (which doesn't work - as it's not registering AC power).

Can anyone recommend any fixes I could attempt and/or a good repair centre that I could take the laptop to in Wellington?

Cheers,

Nick

jareemon
23-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Sounds like you need a new battery, just to confirm though, when the battery is in, and the ac adapter is plugged in, does it use power from the ac adapter?

whallenich
23-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Answering your question - no - when the AC is plugged in there is no power. The only power available is from the battery which seems to work just fine (still does 2 - 2.5 hours from full charge). The only problem is that it is now nearly flat and there is no way to charge it as the AC isn't working.

Just an update - we took it into Noel Leeming (where we got it from) and they're going to send it to Sony to look at. We should hear the verdict in a week.

Cheers,

Nick