PDA

View Full Version : Floppy on New WIN7 not recognised.

Bryan
21-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Finally got a good WIN7 setup but the floppy is not recognised.

Device manager sees it but Windows Explorer doesn't and I can't load a small program.

Is this because of a Security issue or a setup problem? Can someone advise please?

Snorkbox
21-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Could be a bad floppy disc. Was it formatted on the Win 7 system?

Bryan
21-10-2011, 10:57 AM
No. It is a MS games disk. The point is that it works on my main system. When I go into Windows Explorer, the A: drive does not appear but the HDDs do.

It is something to do with the system setup (at least that's what I think).

Snorkbox
21-10-2011, 11:01 AM
It also may mean that the tracking is different on the floppy disk. Can you copy it by formatting a new floppy and then put that in the working system?

Bryan
21-10-2011, 11:11 AM
But why would the explorer recognise all the other drives and not the A:?

Snorkbox
21-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Tracking. Try formatting a new floppy disk on the Win 7 system.

Can it be read?

Bryan
21-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I used the run Format A: cmd. It came back that the system could not format this drive.

Snorkbox
21-10-2011, 11:31 AM
So does it show in the BIOS then?

Bryan
21-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Good point. I'm running something at the moment so will look as son as I can. If it isn't in the BIOS, is there something I need to do to get it there?

Snorkbox
21-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Yes. Tell the BIOS it has one. It should be on the first page.

Bryan
21-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Floppy is there in the BIOS and is set as first boot device. I have another floppy somewhere so I will try that in case this one has had it.

mikebartnz
21-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Why don't you just copy the floppy to a usb drive on your main system and forget about the floppy.

Bryan
21-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Yes I have done that but, I DO like things to work!

Bryan
21-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Also, the floppy did work when I had XP Pro on this PC two days ago. I think that somehow WIN7 is not seeing the Floppy.

mikebartnz
21-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes I have done that but, I DO like things to work!
Can't really see the point with a floppy as I haven't used one for about six or seven years.

dugimodo
21-10-2011, 03:15 PM
My floppy drive sits on a shelf gathering dust, surprised someone stil uses them for anything except raid drivers.
If it worked in XP and you haven't changed any BIOS settings or physical connections then it should show up in my computer.

Ask yourself, how much do you use it and is it actually worth the effort? I was going to buy an external USB powered floppy drive if I ever needed to use one again. At least 2 years after coming up with that plan I still haven't found a need.

Bryan
21-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Point hs been reached to say bye bye to the floppy. However, I still would like to know why Win7 doesn't see it.

21-10-2011, 04:22 PM
a few possibilites
Your floppy drive in the new machine may be faulty.
the floppy disk may be faulty, especially if they are old.
Some new floppy disks (Famous brand) were really unreliable, from new , (when they were in in fashion)
tracking may be slight out on one of the drives.

old PC's floppy drive just may be better at reading almost stuffed disks.
:thumbs:

Time to get all those floppies of yours backed up to some other media, before its too late (seriously)

Agent_24
21-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Windows 7 didn't like my floppy drive either, turned out having HPET (High-precision event timer) turned on in BIOS caused it to screw up.

You may want to check something like that

inphinity
21-10-2011, 08:23 PM
It's Windows 7's way of saying "LOL! This isn't the 1970s anymore". I've seen a lot of motherboards and BIOSes that don't support Failly-disk drives anymore.

Greven
21-10-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a USB floppy drive at work for the odd time we need a floppy disk. The old drives & disks are very unreliable

wainuitech
21-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I had this problem once or twice with workshop PC's.

From a MS site,tried what MS wrote, and worked on one, but not the other:
1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Double-click the category containing your floppy disk drive, and then double-click the name of the device.

3. Click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall.

4. Read and Confirm Notification

5. From the Toolbar click Action -> click Scan for hardware changes

6. Windows will search for your hardware and reinstall it

7. Exit Device Manager

One thing to try -- open Computer / Tools / Folder options / view -- untick " hide empty drives"

goodiesguy
21-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Windows 7 didn't like my floppy drive either

People here still have floppy drives? *face palm*

Charlie Sheen Translation:
Weak

Agent_24
22-10-2011, 02:21 AM
People here still have floppy drives? *face palm*

They are quite useful for many things, and the ease at which one can write an image or program to them is unsurpassed.

CDs can't be written to when used for booting and Flash drives require stuffing around with different programs and all sorts of emulation settings to get them working.

Bryan
22-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Jeez Wayne! WT you blood is worth bottling. The disabling in Device Manager and then rebooting worked like a charm. I'm again a grateful and happy chappy.

Lurking
22-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I have a USB floppy drive at work for the odd time we need a floppy disk. The old drives & disks are very unreliable

Bet it's not a 5.25in floppy !!.

Only place to get one is of course Aussie. the b u g g e r s' we love to hate !.

Yes the 22 Feb earthquake cleaned out the contents of a wardrobe, where these floppies were hiding.

One time I have appreciated the quakes, it does do a bit of "spring cleaning" even if it's out of season, lol.

Lurking.