PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith 1-hour deal

Tony
20-10-2011, 02:34 PM
DSE is offering this 1TB Seagate drive (http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XH9834/) deal this evening. It seems like a decent bargain. Is there any reason why I shouldn't get one for backups? I would plan to store it in the garage between uses as an "offsite" storage. Is that likely to give me any environmental problems?

Chilling_Silence
20-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Just keep in mind that being 3.5" it requires an external power source. It can be a right PITA to lug around.

Otherwise, go for it! $99 for 1TB USB is pretty decent :)

Tony
20-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Just keep in mind that being 3.5" it requires an external power source. It can be a right PITA to lug around.

Otherwise, go for it! $99 for 1TB USB is pretty decent :)You mean it plugs into the wall rather than powering through the USB? Not a problem for the use I'm planning for it. Ditto the lugging around - it will only be going from the office to the garage and back. And BTW, the $99 is the regular price. The deal price is even less. :D

xyz823
20-10-2011, 03:16 PM
You mean it plugs into the wall rather than powering through the USB? Not a problem for the use I'm planning for it. Ditto the lugging around - it will only be going from the office to the garage and back. And BTW, the $99 is the regular price. The deal price is even less. :D

Isn't the deal price $79?

Tony
20-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Isn't the deal price $79?Ssh - everyone will want one!

Trev
20-10-2011, 03:55 PM
The way I read it, it is $99 save $20. Original price $119.
:)

Nomad
20-10-2011, 03:57 PM
When you put it in your cart it's $99.

ryanjames.powell
20-10-2011, 04:30 PM
The deal isn't until later this evening. Therefore the price you see now is not the deal price. Those who have an account on the website got an email about it.

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 05:04 PM
If you click on the green button that says "learn More", next to 1 hour deal, it shows the sale price of $79.

inphinity
20-10-2011, 06:07 PM
$99 sounds like normal retail for a 3.5" USB 1TB to me, but $79 would be a nice price.

Tony
20-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Well I've gone and done it, despite all the barriers that Dick Smith put in my way.

I wanted to pay by credit card, but when I clicked "proceed to payment" it eventually came back sayng it had a problem processing my payment, and to re-enter my card details - except it never gave me the chance to enter them in the first place. :(
So I tried direct deposit, and it gives all the bank details, but presents the bank account number in a very confusing format (OK for Oz, I suspect). So I go to my bank to do the payment, and it won't accept the given company name "DSE (NZ) Ltd" - can't have "()" (also probably OK in Oz).

So if the goods actually arrive I will be highly surprised.

Burnzee
20-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Guys

There is an old adage that states - if something is too good to be true, it is. Classic case in point. Don't blame old Dick trying to unload these things. I wouldn't touch one of these again even if Dick Smith gave it to me and then paid me $99.00. Had nothing but hassles with mine. Damn thing got the Dreaded Seagate Click, Click Of Death - a common problem with these things. It finally crapped out. Beware if you buy one, don't depend on it for back-ups or valuable files. Better still don't buy it!!

If you doubt what I'm saying do a Google search. The internet is full of stories of these things failing.

Hope this saves you some heartache.

BURNZEE

Tony
20-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Guys

There is an old adage that states - if something is too good to be true, it is. Classic case in point. Don't blame old Dick trying to unload these things. I wouldn't touch one of these again even if Dick Smith gave it to me and then paid me $99.00. Had nothing but hassles with mine. Damn thing got the Dreaded Seagate Click, Click Of Death - a common problem with these things. It finally crapped out. Beware if you buy one, don't depend on it for back-ups or valuable files. Better still don't buy it!!

If you doubt what I'm saying do a Google search. The internet is full of stories of these things failing.

Hope this saves you some heartache.ummm - see previous post.