PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive won't read some CD's

tuiruru
20-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi

I'm working on a Toshiba Tecra M3 laptop running Win 7. Device manager tells me That it has a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-831S ATA drive.

When I insert some CD (eg one with a Brother Printer setup and one with MYOB it "sees" them OK. However. when I insert a couple of others (one of which is a legit install disc for Office 2007) it reads these as being empty ie "Computer" shows 720 mb free of 720.

All of these are seen OK by a Desktop also running Win 7

Any ideas please?

Thanks

dugimodo
20-10-2011, 12:10 PM
It could be worth gently cleaning the lens with a lint free cloth and some isopropyl alcohol, also clean the disks thoroughly even a tiny invisible smudge can upset some drives. If you can't get at the lens a cleaning disk is better than nothing but not Ideal. To clean disks wipe in a straight line from the centre outwards, avoid wiping around the disk in a circular motion.

but in the end some optical drives can just be quirky and not read some disks, although disks showing as empty reminds me of a vague memory of some software issue but I don't recall what.

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I came across a similar problem with a Macbook Pro drive - turned out to be a combination of a faulty HDD and a faulty optical drive. Cannot say which was ultimately responsible however both were replaced by Apple before the problem was fixed.

Billy T
20-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Don't forget that CDs and DVDs read from the centre out and it is the inner tracks that hold the table of contents. Any contamination there can stop the disk in its tracks. I've had a couple of non-readers that came right when I cleaned the TOC area. Sometimes it gets lubricant on it from the centre spindle.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Office 2003 CD's were good for thats as well, Brand new, wouldn't read. As billy suggested, gave them a clean to remove any film or what ever, and the worked fine.

tuiruru
21-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys - I'll try that. In the meantime I've copied the stuff to a USB on a computer that will read it, and installed from there.