PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to remove old XP HHD.

Bryan
20-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I have just upgraded from a 20g HDD with XP to a larger HHD with WIN7.

I now want to disconnect the XP HDD and just go with the Win7. However, I cannot work out how to do it. I have attempted to use EasyBCD but to no avail. Using the Win7 program disk to "repair your computer" does not work either. It does load the system but it does not retain it and I have to use the DVD to reboot. When I look in "My Computer" the new disk remains as F:, not C: as I would have thought.

How do you professionals do it?

pcuser42
20-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Use EasyBCD to remove the XP entry, take out the old hard drive then repair the PC with the Windows 7 DVD.

Bryan
20-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Thats what I thought and have tried. Maybe I am missing a step or two but I can't get that to work!

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Personally I would have taken XP out of the game to start with if you had no intention of dual booting, then simply install W7 on the new HDD.

It may be safer to start again, only takes about 20 minutes to install W7 on a average PC the normal way --- There are quicker ways :D -- but for a single install not worth it.

If you have W7 running as drive F then there will be problems, as programs like to install to C as default, and if you leave it as F, then every time you go to install something you will have to redirect it to F.

KiwiTechie
20-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Personally I would have taken XP out of the game to start with if you had no intention of dual booting, then simply install W7 on the new HDD.

It may be safer to start again, only takes about 20 minutes to install W7 on a average PC the normal way --- There are quicker ways :D -- but for a single install not worth it.

If you have W7 running as drive F then there will be problems, as programs like to install to C as default, and if you leave it as F, then every time you go to install something you will have to redirect it to F.

Agreed.
You're possibly better off starting again (then if you need the XP files, plug that in later and grab the files off)

Bryan
20-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Problem as I see it is that I am using a Win7 upgrade package that needs XP or Vista before I can load WIN7. Otherwise I would have done as suggested.

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Ways around that as well :D

AvonBill
20-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Here is quite a useful article. You are not doing anything illegal here as you to have the XP licence.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Bryan
20-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. Backto the drawing board again! I guess I just can't ask the system to change the drive from F: to C: - nah, far too easy!

pcuser42
20-10-2011, 11:58 AM
If you have W7 running as drive F then there will be problems

I would say if Windows 7 is running from drive F: you already have a massive problem, whatever drive/partition it's installed on always (without exception) shows up as C:, unlike XP...

dugimodo
20-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Easy BCD has an option somewhere to change the boot device, it works very well. The problem is currently the boot files are residing on your old C: drive which is what repair tries to fix, but it can be a little tricky and take several attempts and is best done after removing the old drive as it can confuse things.

Hunt around in Easy BCD ( I can't do it from work or I would tell you ), find the option, change the boot device, shut down, disconnect old drive, reboot. Should be back in business.
It may recreate the old boot menu but you can edit that from Easy BCD afterwards to remove XP if it still lists it. Easy BCD copies all the required boot files, sets the drive active, and rebuilds the menu.

Worked for me when I got rid of dual boot with 2 seperate drives which is what you are doing. Was hugely easier than all the other suggestions I had from here from all the helpful people.

dugimodo
20-10-2011, 12:26 PM
went back and found my old thread http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?113888-Removing-a-Dual-boot-system/page2

what worked in the end was this:

what eventually worked:
Boot into WIN 7 ( wont work from XP I tried )
run easy BCD
Go to BCD backup/repair
tick change boot drive (!)
select the drive you want to boot from

have used this program for a while now, somehow I missed this option.

It does recreate the boot menu as well so you still have to edit out any unwanted entries afterwards, but no big deal.

Bryan
20-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I bit the bullet and reinstalled. This time the installation has gone well and is in C: I can't for the life of me figure out how the first installation went so wrong.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 03:08 PM
What can go wrong is if you have another drive that has an OS on it, in this case XP, drive letter C will already be taken, so it installs to the next available letter.

If you have a Card reader installed, that can also through a spanner in the works and one of the card reader slots can take C and windows then installs on another drive letter.(been caught out a few times with that). Windows doesn't always take C as the drive letter.

Just a bit of info -- when installing Windows 7 and you have the smaller boot partition, that is actually infact drive C, and windows installs on Drive D, BUT because of the way its named, windows sees it's installed drive as C. :)

If you are installing windows Via a WIM file, thats when you have to make the partitions first either manually or Via a answer file, and the small partition is Labeled C.

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Edit to above, seems they have changed things around a little for the WIM file instructions regarding drive letters, it now works better.

Although having a card reader installed and plugged in can still cause drive letter problems.

wainuitech
20-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Edit to above, seems they have changed things around a little for the WIM file instructions regarding drive letters, it now works better.

Although having a card reader installed and plugged in can still cause drive letter problems.