PDA

View Full Version : Laptop and original disks... WIN7

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 10:04 AM
My laptop which I got new did not come with any disks to re-install the OS.

How do I go about it?

Laptop is ASUS K52F running Win7

Is there some way of re-installing everything back to how it was when I first turned it on? Or do I have to contact Microsoft and get a disk sent out?

This is the first computer I have owned that does not have a Windows OS disk with it - what's going on?

wratterus
20-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Most laptops haven't shipped with a 'normal' OS disk for years now. They generally have a recovery partition, and some software on the notebook to burn disks to recover the notebook to it's factory state. A standard OEM Win7 disk will work with the key on the bottom of the laptop though.

autechre
20-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Your laptop most likely has a restore partition on the hard drive to reinstall the OS. It should have come with a manual/instructions on how to do this. If you're lucky, you may be able to create a restore DVD from it and use that instead to reinstall.

Failing that, I'd contact Asus and see if they can send out a disc.

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I like the idea of using an OEM Win7 disk - would it have to be the exact same version of Win7 that I already have?

Could I download one from somewhere and use my own key?

There appears to be mention of a 'restore partition' located in the manual - however I cannot find it within Windows.

There are two partitions C: which has windows on it and D: which is huge and was blank when I first got the laptop. Ideally I would like to wipe the HDD and just have one partition then fresh install Win7 onto it.

Why on earth do they split the drive up like this?

20-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Why on earth do they split the drive up like this?

Just absolute stupidity by some manufactures (listening are we VAIO etc ??) :badpc:
a huge issue when HD's are smaller.

If you search this forum you'll find links to download MS Cd's from legit sources, only download
from MS or Digital River, otherwise you may get some bogus CD(ISO) that been 'altered' to make it 'better' (or a beta version)
Asus might have a recovery partition or recovery option, you'l need to google to find out how to access it, can
be different for different models . Some also have a prog loaded to make the recovery CD's, too late now of course ??

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Thank you, I will do a search and see if I can find a suitable ISO download.

Yes there is a program to create a recovery disk however that is pretty pointless to do now like you said. The manual is pretty vague too - "click on 'recovery partition' and press next" is about it.

AvonBill
20-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Most vendors these days provide an application to make recovery disks.
However if ASUS does not, then install EASEUS Todo Backup and use the disk imaging option.
I usually backup to an external hard drive splitting the image into DVD sized chunks. These chunks can be written to DVD for safe keeping. With the same software you will be able to create a boot disk to enable you to restore your backup to a new disk.

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you for your replies.

I located the ISO image for my version of windows. Once I back up my files I plan to burn it to DVD then wipe off the partitions then install a fresh copy of Win7. This time I am hoping to avoid all the Asus programs that still continue to bug me and only install the ones I need (drivers, facial recognition login etc).

Having two partitions has been quite annoying, my C: drive is forever maxing out and running out of space. I keep transfering stuff over to the D: drive but then I will click on my documents and each time I have to tell it to point to D:

I know it could be fixed but that plus Google Chrome still playing up has got me fed up!

Besides I used to quite enjoy re-installing XP every 6 months to keep things fresh!

Win7 has been remarkably stable on this machine. Well at least until very recently - few glitches in programs and the other day I got the blue screen of death and it restarted on me!

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I did look up the partitions in Device Manager but it only shows C: and D: - could not find a 'hidden' restore partition. Is there a program or command line that would show it?

wratterus
20-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Grab Easeus partition manager (http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Manager-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html) for that.

pretty sure hitting f9 during POST is supposed to boot the recovery partition on Asus notebooks.

You can download the correct .iso from here (http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/). Get one of the Sp1 isos. Bear in mind any Win7 key works with 32 and 64 bit, so get whichever you want, generally 64bit is the way to go these days. If you are currently running 32bit, just make sure all your devices (webcams, printers, etc) have 64 bit drivers. :thumbs:

Nomad
20-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Didn't know MS actually allowed ISO of OS to be released online ....

But re: OP's comment of, Is there some way of re-installing everything back to how it was when I first turned it on?
That might mean you need to create a HD or DVD image using ASUS software (if available), I know Acer can do that. Or it might be thru boot up.

I assume the condition of the OS now is not that keepable, if it was you could just Windows 7 Image Backup in Control Panel to make your own image or commercial products like Norton or Acronis.

Or then you could purchase a recovery DVD disc from ASUS.

Using those ISO images are fine, but it might mean you need to hunt around to install drivers for your laptop and configure it up.

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 12:34 PM
All the drivers are available to download from Asus website. So in theory I can burn them to disk, clean install Win7 then install drivers.

wratterus
20-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Yes.

gary67
20-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Starting the restore process from the restore partition will put it back exactly as you bought it, which is the answer to your original question and doesn't require you to download any iso's

Disco_Dan
20-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I plan to remove all the partitions - including the hidden restore partition (which I hope will appear when I install windows from the disk and give me the option to delete partitions!).

dugimodo
20-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Souds like you're on the right track. As to the partitons, you could always have deleted the D: partition and used disk manager to extend the C: volume onto the empty space. Windows 7 is the first version where microsoft deigned to give us this option :) (at least I think it is) It is a little limited, but it does work well for what it can do.

Snorkbox
20-10-2011, 01:02 PM
If you remove the hidden restore partition it will not just re-appear when you install Windows.

mzee
21-10-2011, 11:08 PM
With Windows 7 there are usually two partitions for the system. The first partition is only about 100mb and contains the boot files, and is hidden, so the second becomes 'C'. The second partition should be about 80gb for Windows and your programs. You should create a third partition to contain your work. Go to 'my documents' in 'C' and select properties, move 'my documents' to a folder in the third partition. This way your data will be safe if Windows is corrupted. Also your 'C' drive will not fill up. If at some stage your 'C' drive gets full you can move the swap file to the third partition as well.

Disco Dan
22-10-2011, 10:32 AM
With Windows 7 there are usually two partitions for the system. The first partition is only about 100mb and contains the boot files, and is hidden, so the second becomes 'C'. The second partition should be about 80gb for Windows and your programs. You should create a third partition to contain your work. Go to 'my documents' in 'C' and select properties, move 'my documents' to a folder in the third partition. This way your data will be safe if Windows is corrupted. Also your 'C' drive will not fill up. If at some stage your 'C' drive gets full you can move the swap file to the third partition as well.

There was three partitions, recovery C: & D: was fed up with C: drive getting filled up quickly as most programs automatically use C: drive.

The recovery partition was only small, so I left it - just in case I ever sell the laptop I can still recover back to factory defaults. I deleted the other two the created just one C: and installed everything on that. Much easier and prefer it that way.

wratterus
22-10-2011, 10:29 PM
The Easeus partition manager I linked to earler has the capabillity to 'merge' the two partitions, as does the windows disk management, just fyi.