PDA

View Full Version : Startup problems

4Lowie
17-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi all
I'm starting to get a bit frustrated so here I am looking for help...... I've got an old HP desk top that I'm setting up to run a cnc router. When I got the machine it came up with a warning that there was a system error with the clock, no problem went through the warning and it booted ok. Cleaned out all the old software and installed what i needed to, all good. The software ran as it should, machine started ok every time. This morning I started it again but nothing, I tried taking out the pci card I'd fitted, didn't fix it. The other thing I tried was to change the HDD from sata 1 to sata 0 (?) this time it started but came up with the dos clock warning so I fitted a new battery. Went to start it but nothing, the HDD seams to be running and loading something but nothing comes up on the screen, yes the screen is working. I've also reseating the ram.

Can anyone please offer some ideas before it gets the axe treatment, when it starts it does all it should...

Many thanks.

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 08:38 PM
When starting,can you enter the BIOS. Possibly by tapping Delete (some Hp's are different)some use F1 or even F2

4Lowie
17-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I tried f1,f2 and delete didn't want to go to bios page, still no screen. When I start it I can hear windows, well seams the Same sound pattern. At startup a pause then hd activity then a pause when it gets to the log on screen, once I go through the password screen it continues to load, windows I'd say. Just no screen...

wainuitech
17-10-2011, 09:24 PM
If the screen is OK, then try booting from a bootable CD, doesn't matter what it is -- can be a windows install CD or Linux Live CD,this will test to see if its the OS or the hardware giving problems.

Just a thought --- does this have integrated graphics, or a graphic card.??

"IF" the CMOS battery was flat and replaced and it has the option of both, try removing the graphic card and running from the on-board, just in case the graphics has defaulted back to on-board. If its only got on-board, then try installing a graphic card ( if you have one that will fit)

4Lowie
17-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks mate... After all that I think the monitor might be bad, It was working ok but I just tried it on my laptop and could get anything to come up on it. By the way it's inboard graphics. I'll see if I can find another monitor to try.

4Lowie
17-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I tried f1,f2 and delete didn't want to go to bios page, still no screen. When I start it I can hear windows, well seams the Same sound pattern. At startup a pause then hd activity then a pause when it gets to the log on screen, once I go through the password screen it continues to load, windows I'd say. Just no screen...